Mt. Helen

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
syzygy01
14ers: 48  11  5 
13ers: 4 2 2
Trip Reports (1)

Mt. Helen

Post by syzygy01 »

Hey,

I've had my eye on a ski descent of Mt. Helen's E. slopes for awhile. The slope looks pretty consistent from treeline to summit. Does anyone know what angle the slope is? Any other info. is appreciated too, especially recent snow stability info. on similar aspects in the area.

Thanks,

JP
mtnfiend
14ers: 34  14  2 
13ers: 181 58 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Mt. Helen

Post by mtnfiend »

JP - Helen's east slopes are fairly mellow (average around 30 degrees). Corn-dog and I attempted Helen mid January, but were unsuccessful with a summit ski for various reasons. Check out killingcokes TR (makingturns.com) from this year for some good info.

On a side, skiing Sherman with you, Jeremy, and Alex last year was awesome. We need to engage Jeremy and Alex more and get out and ski bigger peaks this year!!! Let me know if you decide to attempt Helen and I'd consider joining you!!
Didn't I ever tell you.....Bumble's bounce!!!

http://exploringtherockies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.berthoudpass.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
@snow_nerd
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

I considered it this winter, but Topo! calculates it as a steady 35-40* slope... could be scary.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Mt. Helen's East Slopes are mellow, with one short, ~28degree section (narrow gully below tree line). A route description is on 13ers.com here.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
JeffR
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

http://www.13ers.com/routepro.php?route ... =Mt.+Helen

2000' in the last mile... looks like about 38* to me. :-k

Edit: Aaack, I got % mixed up with degress. Still, it's around 35*.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

That graphic is deceiving. I've climbed and skied it many times and it's very mellow, as you can see in the photos on that route description.

Without snow, it's an easy hike. With snow, it's a very mellow ski with a short, steeper section in that small gully.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Here's a few angles drawn on that Helen profile. I'd say the average angle above 11,000' is below 22 degress. As you can see, 30-45 degrees would be much steeper.

Mathematically, just estimating the numbers at RUN=5280' and RISE=2200', that would result in a slope angle of 22.6 degrees, using the slope calculation method below.

Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Alby426 »

Bill you are a Nerd !!! :D
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I've been called worse!
syzygy01
14ers: 48  11  5 
13ers: 4 2 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by syzygy01 »

Bill!

Thanks for the info. That's precisely what I was looking for! And Rick, yeah Sherman was a good time and we need to go up again. I'll start bugging Jeremy and try to get him out there. Mt. Helen is looking like a sweet hike and maybe we can get up there this upcoming weekend.

Thanks again everyone,

JP
JeffR
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Aaargh! Ignore me, Bill is correct! I had the grade (%) right, but somehow messed up the conversion to slope. I must've missed that day in geometry class 27 years ago. :oops:
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I have a young dog that I'm thinking of taking up tomorrow and would like to do a relatively short and sweet, walk up, peak with her, would this be a good one? She can go forever, but her vet wants her mileage kept down for another year.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright