Parry, Eva, Bancroft, St. Marys Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
krz2fer
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (10)

Parry, Eva, Bancroft, St. Marys Conditions

Post by krz2fer »

Any beta on the conditions in this area? We got a big dump about a week ago, followed by a little dump last weekend, and now mega winds. Looks to be warmer this week, with cooling occurring late week into the weekend. My previous Bancroft splitboard plans were foiled due to weather, and I'm curious if anyone has first hand info on the snow up there—if it's staying bullet proof or if we're getting a corn layer by midday yet. Thanks!
Chris
mtnmaneric
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 373
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Parry, Eva, Bancroft, St. Marys Conditions

Post by mtnmaneric »

There's plenty of snow from treeline. Here's a pic from the slopes of James Pk looking towards Bancroft. Skiing on James today was great - besides the insane winds!!
Attachments
30563_389292733502_613798502_3838032_1883473_n.jpg
30563_389292733502_613798502_3838032_1883473_n.jpg (61.91 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

Are Parry, Eva and Bancroft all accessible (reasonably) from St Marys? It looks like Bancroft would be.

I was thinking about heading up on Saturday.

What about Fall River Reservoir TH? I imagine that isn't accessible for a while.
krz2fer
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (10)

Post by krz2fer »

dubsho3000 wrote:Are Parry, Eva and Bancroft all accessible (reasonably) from St Marys? It looks like Bancroft would be.

I was thinking about heading up on Saturday.

What about Fall River Reservoir TH? I imagine that isn't accessible for a while.
Fall River TH will be snow blocked for a while and is best utilized for a Parry Peak start and return trek. I've always accessed Bancroft from the 4WD road beyond Alice (and from the blockage off season). The road to Loch Lomond is easily hikable or skinable depending on conditions.

Regarding the north slopes from St. Marys, I'm not as familiar with that route and haven't seen any information on it. The topo looks like it's doable but I'm not sure how much of a slog it'd be. It also looks like there's a tower in the saddle between the two peaks. You'd have to request other beta on that.
Chris
JayG
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JayG »

Has anyone been up to the Fall River Reservoir Road area or the Stewart Road area past Alice. Looking at a ski descent on Eva, Parry or Bancroft and trying to suss out the approach based on these road conditions/accessibility. Thanks!
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Snow has been melting fast, but I am sure you cannot drive the entire distance of either Rainbow Road(Fall River Reservoir) or Steuart Rd. (this is the correct spelling, Barbara Steuart is the great, great granddaughter of this family which owned almost all the mining claims (land) in this area, before sub-dividing, and still owns the property across the street from my parking lot.) You will be able to park along either road and hike the rest of the way. I will be de-winterizing a house on Rainbow Rd. next week, and will drive back as far as I can and will post pic's of this and the peaks. I may go up Steuart Rd. today with my boy, depends on the wife's plans, but the seasonal gate at the far end has to still be closed, USFS won't open that until all the snow is gone on the road, from the gate to the lake.
JayG
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JayG »

Thanks Paul...I'm heading up tomorrow and we think we're going to hit Parry (most vertical on the way down for the effort on the way up)...I will post tomorrow night and let folks know how it looks!
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

The kiddo and I took the atv out to do some recon, Rainbow Rd. is open all the way to the main trailhead adjacent to the river. Jeepers may have opened up the switchback there, after I left, but you can at least park at the trailhead, a few campers, but they are in the woods. Steuart Rd. is open to the first seasonal gate, there are spots to park along the road up to the gate. Now I just need to get the pic's off my blackberry to the computer, and I will post some pic's, from our hike/rock scramble on Yankee Hill. By the way, it looks sweet up there!!!
JayG
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JayG »

What a day...we parked exactly where you said (at the s-turn, by the river a mile or so short of the damn). Climbed and skies Parry...good time and a highly recommended descent!
Cheers all...
amill46
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 56 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by amill46 »

I was just curious if anyone had any info on the conditions of Bancroft? Looking to head up there and ski tomorrow. Is the coverage still good for a decent? About how far down does the snow allow you to ski before you have to begin hiking again? Thanks alot!
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Bumping this to see if anyone knows whether that 4wd road is passable from St. Mary's up to Kingston Peak area? I think the road is called Hilltop as it leaves St. Mary's. I'm pretty sure snow usually blocks it this time of year from Rollinsville but I thought maybe the southern access would have melted. Would like to access that parking area about a mile east of James Peak.

Thanks.
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

Wesley,
I will head up Hillside, to Hilltop and see how far over I can go. Memorial Weekend it was still not passable at the top of Hilltop, but it has been sunny and nice up here, in fact one of our 3 frozen water mains has opened up finally. I will get some pic's of the entire area and post.