Gore Range beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BIO_KNEE
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Gore Range beta

Post by BIO_KNEE »

Well for the first time in years I haven’t been up to the Silverthorne area, so I was just wondering if anyone has any recent beta on the northern Gore range, specifically around Mt. Powell. Thanks in advance for any info. :)
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Gore Range beta

Post by Kiefer »

The gate at the bottom of the road is still closed. The Gores have a TON of snow still.
If you skin up, the road is roughly ~10 miles or so in length. From the lake, you'd have to make a hurclean effort to skin up to Kneeknocker Pass. Right now, probably a 3 day adventure.
Look for the gate to open sometime around Memorial Day.
BIO_KNEE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BIO_KNEE »

Thanks Kiefer, just what I was looking for, TOTAL isolation! It’s what I love about the Gore. No minerals means no trails, means no people, love it!!! :mrgreen:
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

BIO_KNEE wrote:Thanks Kiefer, just what I was looking for, TOTAL isolation! It’s what I love about the Gore. No minerals means no trails, means no people, love it!!! :mrgreen:
Very true and I share the same sentiments regarding Gore isolation. With that being said, Kiefer is very accurate in his word choice in regards to a hurculean effort this time of year. Having done Powell and C from the Piney Lake in the dead of summer, you are nearly guaranteed to find no one in the high peaks. That is a LONG road from Vail from the gate closure. I biked it a couple years ago, packed into the basin under Kneeknocker and flat out ran out of time in an early spring attempt of Powell. Either way, if that is what you are looking for, have at it and good luck.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Be careful with avalanches. They're still a problem even this late in the year in the Gores.
BIO_KNEE
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BIO_KNEE »

No doubt there Barry! About four years ago I was on Peak G (I believe) getting some nice July turns in on the snowfield in the N. face cirque and still was seeing loose wet slabs. :shock: Nothing big, but slides none the less!

The CAIC doesn’t lie about avalanches every month of the year in this wonderful state of ours. 8)
Andrew
14ers: 57  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Andrew »

Looking for some help finding a hike in the area.

My girlfriend and her friends have rented a cabin near Silverthorne next weekend and want a hike to do. A summit hike would be preferable, but they probably wouldn't mind a lake hike if it was good. None of them are mountaineers, but they all run marathons, so their endurance is good. My girlfriend has done winter ascents of Bross and Quandary, but I was present for both. I'm having a hard time finding something in the area that meet their criteria:

-Class 2 or easier. Snow shoe routes are OK
-Little to no avalanche danger
-Within a 45 minute drive of Silverthorne
-Scenic would be nice

Any insight would be greatly appreciated and would reduce the nagging in my house slightly. Thanks
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by traderaaron »

Consider Red Peak, the trail leaves right from the Frisco exit off I-70, it's still going to be very wintry up high. Almost anything else that I can think off could have serious avalanche risk still.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Mount Silverthorne is a good one. This particular page doesn't show the shortest route. I've done it right from the town of Silverthorne and passed by Salmon Lake. You could do this route up to Salmon Lake and then see what the snow conditions are like. It's been a while, but I think the slope up from Salmon Lake may not be steep enough for avalanches. Take a slope guage before you try it. That slope after you pass by Salmon Lake is no more than class 2, everything else is class 1. You will most likely run into some postholing near Salmon Lake so bring gaitors and waterproof trail runners. If you need beta, send me a PM.
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

Thought I'd bump this and see if anyone has been in the Gore's lately. I am not looking to ski or snow climb this time, but rather hike (dayhike ) to a nice lake or summit without having to carry snowshoes. Thoughts?
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Was up in the Piney Lake drainage yesterday. You shouldn't need snowshoes at all. There are some patches above 10,500' but it's so spotty and slushy that shoes wouldn't do you any good and would be more of a pain that anything else. I would imagine the more popular trails to lakes and such are clear.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
JE242
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JE242 »

That's good news. I think I may head to Keller Mountain, from Rock Creek TH. I am hoping that the east ridge or southwest face will be snowfree.