Weston Peak From Weston Pass

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Weston Peak From Weston Pass

Post by ColoradoGuy »

A SummitPost article says it is a "short but steeeeeeeeeep approach" from Weston Pass to Weston Peak (13,572'). Those extra e's by the author concern me.

Has anyone done this route? I can handle steepness, but is there loose scree on this slope? Is the terrain grassy? If rocky, are the rocks generally firm?

All input is appreciated! -Steve :)
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Weston Peak From Weston Pass

Post by Presto »

Yes, we did this a few years back in the fall. It's an easy hike (i.e., walk up) ... straightforward ... don't know that I'd add all the "e's" to steep, but I don't know the level of experience of the commenter. To be honest, there must not have been anything of concern about it because I don't have much of a memory about it (i.e., that translates into no exposure, no loose rock, no drama). Happy trails! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

I think I'm somewhat of an experienced climber (done 16 or 17 14ers, a bunch of 13ers and 12ers), and generally feel confident with peaks like this. I just thought I'd ask, and you answered my question. Thank you! :)

-Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
Presto
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

You can certainly handle it, Steve ... I should have clarified that when I said "commenter" I meant whomever posted it at SP. :oops: Have a great time! :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Just concurring with the previous opinion - nothing you can't walk up and mostly grassy tundra.
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Update: I climbed Weston Peak and Ptarmigan Peak this morning. The trip report and photos can be seen here:

http://coloradoguy.com/weston-pass-colorado/hike.htm

I will say I understand why the summitpost writer said it was "steeeeeeeeeep." Ha ha. It definitely was. In my report, I add that although steep, it is mostly grassy tundra. Thanks again guys... I'm coming to love climbing 13ers much more than 14ers. :)

-Steve
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Appreciate all your fine efforts and descriptions of hiking around Weston Pass. Looks like a good place to visit before summer is over - time permitting.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
Presto
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Good goin', Steve. Always appreciate having trip reports for those less than popular 13ers. Happy trails! :D
summers
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 30 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summers »

If any of you decide to head up there later this month and want a hiking partner, let me know. These look like a lot of fun.
gurlyclimber
14ers: 34 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gurlyclimber »

Summers, I am thinkking about going up on Thursday night after work if you're interested. I would leave for hwy 285 around 4:00. Shoot me a PM if you, or anyone is interested. Might be fun to get a group going.
summers
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 30 2
Trip Reports (4)

Post by summers »

I will be working on a trail project on Mt Evans this Thursday. Good luck!
perryw
14ers: 7 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by perryw »

Just hiked it 2 weeks ago from Weston Pass and it was not really that steep as long as you stay to the left of the huge ravine on the right. Certainly not any class 3 involved, although the ridge walk has some spectacular drop-off on both sides.
Did you know that the word gullible is NOT in the dictionary?