I might be an idiot....help with what peak I was on today

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ketel1
14ers: 28 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

I might be an idiot....help with what peak I was on today

Post by ketel1 »

I left my map at home as I rushed out the door to climb Mt Flora, atop Berthoud Pass. Was I on Witter when I took this pic? I am certain I was not on Flora, because I was scoping out Breckenridge Peak to see if I could get there, too. BTW-I did not see a viable route today, considering I had no snowshoes and the snow is quite soft and deep from the ridge and saddle of Flora to Breck.

I don't believe I went as far as Eva.
Regardless of how inept I am feeling right now, I had a great day...a tad bit windy up top, but no threat of storms and 360 degree views that were just breathtaking.
Thanks, all.
Beth

Added: I was seated at a partial windblock/shelter when I took these.
Attachments
Over the opposite shoulder
Over the opposite shoulder
Towards Grays and Torreys.JPG (30.57 KiB) Viewed 2983 times
What peak am I on? Witter looking towards Eva?
What peak am I on? Witter looking towards Eva?
Am I on Witter.JPG (28.44 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: I might be an idiot....help with what peak I was on today

Post by susanjoypaul »

Colorado Mines? It has a shelter/windbreak on top...
ketel1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

Colorado Mines Pk is the first one you pass from Berthoud Pass, and is the one with radio towers on it. It was not that one, I was heading northeast and already past it and past Breckenridge. Peak.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I don't remember seeing any structures on top of Witter the last time I hiked past there... but there is something on top of Eva. Did your summit look like this?
Attachments
Mount Eva.jpg
Mount Eva.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 2773 times
ketel1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

Nope. Mine had nothing on it but a rock shelter. I did hear about that tower from one man I met. and- I did have a couple tell me they hiked to the 'false summit' of Eva and sat behind a rock shelter to get out of the wind. Could this have been a false summit of Eva?
Beth
harrise
14ers: 12 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (4)

Post by harrise »

How many times did you ascend and descend? You could have been on the saddle between Eva and Witter, but I think that's shown in the second pic. To me it looks like the first shot is from Flora (don't remember any rock shelters). Here's one I took from Flora looking a few degrees left of your second pic with the dog (a bit zoomed in though). The perspective distance looks quite similar. Eva's summit is hidden against that ridge, but it's right about there...

(Sorry, I'm not too familiar with this forum so my pics aren't tidy little attachments like you all.)
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I'm truly stumped, Beth! But I'm not giving up... indeed, I'm committed to determining your exact location.

Think back to that shelter... do you recall anything different about it? Strange, out-of-place, or out-of-the-ordinary? Say, five guys from L.A.? If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, I may have solved your riddle! Fellow summiteer "piper14er" paints a vivid picture of this anomoly in her enthralling trip report, Berthoud Pass to the L.A. Five. It's a great read, a real nail-biter, as she uncovers the secrets of Mount... oh, I don't want to spoil it for you!

P.S. harrise may be on to something... there's a big-ass cairn on top of Flora. If you check some of the trip reports you'll spot it. There's a chance that over the years it's in fact evolved into some sort of make-shift shelter. Left unchecked, those cairns have a way of growing out of control.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

I can check my old pics when I was up there. My knee jerk reaction says you were on Flora.
I'm one of those freaks that takes summit pictures in both directions when doing a traverse.

Tim
JimR
14ers: 56 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (8)

Post by JimR »

I was up on Flora a couple weeks ago (brutal wind), and there is a small rock "shelter" on the summit. Here's my photo of G&T from the summit of Flora:
G+T_Small.jpg
G+T_Small.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
The Cont. Divide Trail runs over the summit of Flora and then SE to Breck; did you break off from that & head N or NE?
I have more age than experience, more experience than knowledge, and more knowledge than wisdom.
Yet somehow I usually make it back to the car safely; and oftentimes, so do the people that I'm with.
maledeel
14ers: 31  11  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maledeel »

You were on the N. Ridge of Flora not too far from the summit of Flora. The top picture shows the summit of Flora and the bottom picture shows Witter in the center (above your dog) . The ridge on the left of the top picture is the ridge leading to Breckenridge.
ketel1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ketel1 »

I know I hit the summit, too, because we picked up and walked to the next 'hump' after the pics. I thought for certain I was on Flora..no doubt in my mind. BUT- was not sure if I had gone farther.
Thanks for your help!
Beth
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Here's a shot of Mt. Flora's summit taken in February 2008. Wind shelter in foreground, large cairn in background:

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston