Castleabra from Castle?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
KevinK
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 212
Trip Reports (7)

Castleabra from Castle?

Post by KevinK »

I read on summitpost that there is an east ridge route on Castleabra that connects to Castle. However, I can't find a route description or any trip reports that mention it. Does anyone have any info on the route? Difficulty? Distance/elevation gain? Maybe some pictures?
Oh mama ain't it good to be alive
On your mountaintop and feeling high

-Railroad Earth
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Castleabra from Castle?

Post by PKelley »

Roach's 14er book show a 3rd class connecting ridge route between Castle and Castleabra. Point 13,820 is between them. I haven't done it yet, but if you want to give me your Telluride Phish tickets, I will go hike it and tell you how it went. I will even write up a trip report.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

I have a shot of that from Castleabra ... wish I knew how to post it here. :? (I'm so lame when it comes to computer stuff :roll: )
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

There are trip reports out there for this traverse, because I know I've seen a description of it, and even a few pictures. I just don't remember where, though I don't think it was here.

You might try searching for the elevation of the peak rather than searching for it as Castleabra.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com
Presto
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Okay, I've got globreal helping me re-size it and will post shortly. :D
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Presto wrote:Okay, I've got globreal helping me re-size it and will post shortly. :D
Attachments
IMG_0428_resized.jpg
IMG_0428_resized.jpg (211.71 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Thanks, Presto and Britt. It doesn't look too bad from that shot, but there are areas that are not visible or not crystal clear that could be troublesome.
Presto, since you looked at this ridge, does it seem reasonable to drop from Castle to Castleabra, then return to Castle? Pictures can't tell the whole story, though the map (at the resolution I can get) makes it look ok, too. If it never crossed your mind, no worries.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Presto
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Yes, thanks Britt! :wink:

del_sur, in the 4 times we've been on Castle, I really can't recall looking that direction (the mind is willing, but the memory is fuzzy). :? I guess my gaze was always drawn to the bells, et.al. I can tell you that we could see people scurrying like mice up and down the standard ridge on Castle and could see people on the summit of Castle when we were on Castleabra. Just some more info ... this picture was taken on July 4, 2008. Happy trails! :D
Nathan Hale
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Nathan Hale »

Okay, I was wrong, that TR about it was from this site:

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=3587" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun and count every beautiful thing we can see.

http://mtns.nathan-hale.com
KevinK
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 212
Trip Reports (7)

Post by KevinK »

Thanks for the great info and photos all. It looks pretty doable and like less effort and more scrambling than the other routes to Castleabra. I may be ticking this one off the list soon.

Pkelley, fat chance of that happening but if you can make it to t-ride you stand a better chance of hearing the shows than from anywhere else. Maybe you should consider joining me for Wilson-El Diente the weekend before? That was how I was going to justify the trip down there before I worked out getting my tickets.
Oh mama ain't it good to be alive
On your mountaintop and feeling high

-Railroad Earth