Routes for Buffalo Peaks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountaintan
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Routes for Buffalo Peaks

Post by mountaintan »

Does anybody have a route plan for Buffalo Peaks via the Four Mile Trailhead? I am looking at doing East Buffalo Peak later this month and would appreciate any route suggestions/mileage/terrain information. Thanks Much!
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Re: Routes for Buffalo Peaks

Post by Chicago Transplant »

I did it a few years ago, can't remember mileage but the route was pretty straight forward, I did a loop of West and East together. A trail leads pretty high up to a saddle on the west side of West Buffalo and then its an easy open bristlecone slope to treeline and gentle slopes to the summit. Then I traversed over to East Buffalo and descended the gully between the two peaks and bushwhacked back to the Fourmile trail and then followed it back to the vehicle. There is another trail that breaks off east from the main trail, I actually ended up finding it on my way back off of East.

If East is your only objective you can follow the main trail to that side trail, then take it for a little while to where it leaves the creek and bushwhack along the creek to treeline and then ascend East Buffalo's southwest side. It would basically be my descent route in reverse.

Most people on this site probably have climbed these peaks from the east, but seeing as you are in BV, Fourmile definitely makes the most sense. It was a nice route and you'll probably have it all to yourself.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rich H »

I did it a couple of years ago from the 4 mile creek TH...it is a great hike. I marked my route and would suggest staying high through the trees on the SW flank of West Buffalo to avoid some cliffs and steeps
buffalo peaks.JPG
buffalo peaks.JPG (281.04 KiB) Viewed 1080 times

cheers,
rich
mountaintan
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountaintan »

Thanks to you both for the information! I suspected there would be some bush whacking involved which is not a problem....looks like a fun hike. Have a great weekend :)