Navajo and Apache beta

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
avs88fan
14ers: 56 
13ers: 173
Trip Reports (9)

Navajo and Apache beta

Post by avs88fan »

Anyone know the safest way to do both peaks? Reading up in Roach's Indian Peaks suggests to ascend the west chimney between the two peaks. My original thought was to ascend Apache first via the east ledges then climb the chimney to Navajo and descend via the airplane gully. Is there a better way for this?? Any additionl information would be appreciated. Thank you!!!
AKA617
14ers: 34  1 
13ers: 42 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Navajo and Apache beta

Post by AKA617 »

A friend and I climbed both of these peaks on July 3rd. We used Roach's guide to find the West Chimney on Navajo. We were lucky enough to catch Apache Coulior still in condition so we ascended that route rather than the East Ledges. The Ledges route looked like it would go as well.
The traverse from Apache to Navajo is mostly class 2+ talus-hopping, but there were two sections that grabbed my attention. The West Chimney was definitely the crux of the route. It is a little bit loose and the class 4 rating is deserved. The other section that was a bit spicy was the down climb into the notch between Apache Peak and Dicker's Peck. It was probably only class 3, but certainly took some concentration.
The decent from Navajo's summit back to the basin was relatively straight forward. Coming off of Navajo's summit is exciting, but I did not find it to be particularly concerning. The decent down Airplane Gully is loose but not difficult.
I found this route to be very pleasant. We didn't encounter anyone on the peaks, but coming back down the Long Lake Trail was crowded. I doubt Apache Coulior is in at this point, but the East Ledges looked like a fun route as well. I would recommend a helmet, and possibly an axe. There were some glissades in the lower basin that made the decent more exciting. I don't know if any of those are still in. Someone may have more complete beta on current conditions.

-AKA
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Navajo and Apache beta

Post by fahixson »

Not sure this is great info for you since we didn't go over to Apache, but here are pictures from July 10 . . .
http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/cre ... 4136008703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We only did Navajo via Airplane Gully. Agree that the gully is a loose in spots, but not terrible. We also had a good time coming off the Navajo summit. We ran into a few people on our way back to Long Lake TH, but only a couple others near the summit. You should have a great time!