White Ridge (SE of Mt. Sherman)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ColoradoGuy
14ers: 22 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

White Ridge (SE of Mt. Sherman)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

I am thinking about climbing White Ridge (13,684') and will probably park at the gate for Mt. Sherman's standard route. Based on my previous climbs in the area, it's always looked like the saddle between Mt. Sherman and White Ridge is fairly doable.

Questions...

Has anyone climbed White Ridge this way? (or at least has climbed this saddle to Mt. Sherman?)
Have any specific warnings about that saddle?
Any nasty loose scree to be concerned about?

Thanks so much! -Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: White Ridge (SE of Mt. Sherman)

Post by rijaca »

ColoradoGuy wrote: Has anyone climbed White Ridge this way? (or at least has climbed this saddle to Mt. Sherman?)
Have any specific warnings about that saddle?
Any nasty loose scree to be concerned about?

Thanks so much! -Steve
Yes, the route you propose is the 'standard' winter route for Sherman.
No.
Don't know, I've climbed this way only in winter conditions (snow covered).
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
BobbyFinn
14ers: 58  21 
13ers: 573 5 7
Trip Reports (19)

Post by BobbyFinn »

I hiked down part of that saddle in semi-winter conditions (part of it was snow covered and part was just exposed talus). Here's a TR with pics of our approximate route: http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=7976" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It's like any talus field, some sections were steep and loose, others were pretty stable, I'd say it was probably mostly stable where we went. I didn't notice much scree, mostly just talus. It could be completely different in summer conditions. Also, we turned off the ridge between White Ridge and Sherman closer to White ridge - we didn't follow the winter-route gully.
So maybe this is useless to you...
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

I didn't know that saddle was Mt. Sherman's "standard" winter route. Thanks guys!

-Steve
It's a tough job, but someone has to photograph the mountain. www.MtPrinceton.org
ColoradoGuy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoGuy »

Update: I climbed White Ridge yesterday. I also threw in Gemini Peak and Mt. Sherman afterward, but White Ridge was clearly the highlight. \:D/

My 26 photos and video: http://coloradoguy.com/whiteridge-gemin ... lorado.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's my favorite shot of White Ridge (13,684'). What a beauty!

-Steve
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Thank you Steve. White Ridge is great hiking area - fine photos too. I should be down that way in two weeks or so - actually to Weston Pass to check out the peaks in that area.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.