Pigeon anyone?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
triplec
14ers: 58 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (0)

Pigeon anyone?

Post by triplec »

I am planning on climbing Pigeon and Turret late August or early September. I plan to take the train and go up N Pigeon creek. I am flexible as to which weekend. I would prefer to leave Denver on Thursday and board the train early Friday morning.

Since I will turn 50 next month, I don't hike quite as fast as I used to, but I can still maintain 1000 vertical feet per hour.

Anyone interested?
piper14er
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 562
Trip Reports (100)

Re: Pigeon anyone?

Post by piper14er »

sent pm
PKelley
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 208 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by PKelley »

Get ready to suffer on the Pigeon Creek approach. I did it a few years ago after taking the afternoon train from Silverton, and barely made the high idyllic meadow by sunset. There is a trail at the beginning, but it totally turns to a bush-whack towards the top. You are smart by starting earlier. Roach had a good description of the approach.
The Dalai Lama when asked what surprised him most about humanity:
“Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
Beachrodney
14ers: 6  3  3 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beachrodney »

PM sent
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

1000 vert an hour ain't bad old man.

There was a lengthy discussion on the Pigeon approach, but it all dealt with Ruby Creek, not N.Pigeon. Please post conditions, route finding issues, suggestions, etc if/when you go. I personally would be curious to see how it compares to the other.