Conditions on Dallas Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
RobertPetrowsky
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Conditions on Dallas Peak

Post by RobertPetrowsky »

Does anyone have any advice regarding rock fall on Dallas peak? My friend and I were looking to climb it near the end of August or first of September and I was wondering what to expect with all of the rain we have experienced. How dangerous is this peak after a rain?
bmartinek
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions on Dallas Peak

Post by bmartinek »

I saw your post and have been trying to get down to Telluride to do Dallas since late July, but the weather has never been right. Finally, the weather looks good down there this Labor Day weekend, but as luck would have it, my normal climbing friends are not available. If you are going this weekend, any chance you need a partner for Dallas or know someone who does? Thanks.
CincyBearcats
14ers: 58 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (7)

Post by CincyBearcats »

My wife and I just climbed Dallas on Aug. 21st. If anything, I think the unusually wet summer has made Dallas a bit safer. The usual hard pan underneath the kitty litter was soft enough that we could kick steps into it, not too unlike snow climbing in a way. There are a lot of loose rocks teetering atop the ledges, so we just made sure to climb one at a time or in echelon form. You can take a look at our photos here.
bmartinek
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bmartinek »

Hi Robert,

In the last message I sent, I listed my cell phone to call tonite when you are free. But when I left work, I forgot it and it got left in the office. So call my home phone if you call tonite 303-277-0037.