Citadel Information??

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
travis_sand
14ers: 17 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (9)

Citadel Information??

Post by travis_sand »

Does anyone have a good link or resource for hiking information on the Citadel. This of course does include purchasing a book within the next day. I am just looking for some route or good trips reports for this hike. Thanks again.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Citadel Information??

Post by climbing_rob »

Here's one:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Denver-Hikes ... 617&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

REI and Costco (only $10) carry these as well, 30 hikes in the "Denver Area", meaning with trailheads within an hour of Denver. The book includes the Citadel as one of the hikes.

Also: I just noticed your Avatar... looks like a Delta IV Medium+ 4,2. are you ULA?
travis_sand
Trip Reports (9)

Post by travis_sand »

Yes, that would make me ULA.

FYI, sorry for the mis-post above, I am mainly looking for some on-line material that I could print out or what-not. I am in the process of looking for books as well, so that information is also very useful, but probably not as useful for a hike this weekend if I can't get the book in time, haha.

In addition to that, I have gone and found a few trips reports. Any suggestions of routes in this area is also appreciated. This would include circuit routes or other traverses that seem to show up in other reports, but without a whole lot of information such as distance or difficulty of route. My experience is tough class 3 scrambling up to some climbing so most areas wont scare me off.

Thanks once again.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

From SP:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... tadel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's 4 different route descriptions and a few trip reports (in case you hadn't seen this already). Happy trails! :D

A couple more:

http://www.climber.org/reports/2003/1183.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.climber.org/reports/2000/569.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Check summitpost.org for online info.

Citadel can be approached via Dry Gulch or herman Gulch. There are trails up both drainages. No established trail to Citadel.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
RatherbeintheMtns
14ers: 42 
13ers: 125
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RatherbeintheMtns »

If you are looking for another good climb in the area, then I would suggest the East Ridge of Pentingell. You can find a route description for it on summitpost. It is accessed by Herman Gulch as well. This is a very fun 3/4 mile ridge (class 3 especially fun if you stick to the ridge proper at all times) on very solid rock. The citadell is a fun climb as well, but the rock ascending the gullies near the summit is fairly loose. My partner launched a fairly good size rock towards me when we climbed it so be careful.
JeffR
14ers: 31 
13ers: 175
Trip Reports (13)

Post by JeffR »

Another interesting approach is from Hagar Mtn. Haven't checked recently but I believe there was some info or TRs on here or summitpost about this route.
To recognize the beauty in sadness, without playing host to the pain...
- Under the Sun, "Reflections"
habaceeba
14ers: 27 
13ers: 93 1 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by habaceeba »

This is the route I took. PM if you want .gpx or .tpo file (anyone who wants it for that matter). If I recall correctly, it seemed that the trail just ran out somewhere in the willows after Herman Lake. We sidehilled around and across a flatter part of the gulch to the trail that leads up to the saddle. Be prepared for major looseness in the gully between the two summits. Sticking to the walls on either side of it offers more solid purchase than anywhere else. Don't trust any of it too much though. Unless going solo, I would recommend a helmet just for this section.
"Yellow" route is up. "Blue" route is down. I do not suggest my down route. It was willow/mud city. When I visit again, I will definitely take the sidehill back to Herman Lake over my previous trip.
"Yellow" route is up. "Blue" route is down. I do not suggest my down route. It was willow/mud city. When I visit again, I will definitely take the sidehill back to Herman Lake over my previous trip.
Capture.JPG (332.89 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
A good trail leads to the low point on the ridge (left of center).
A good trail leads to the low point on the ridge (left of center).
2092 The Citadel - 13,294 (W from Herman Gulch Trail).JPG (146.55 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
Trail ran out somewhere near hear. If sidehilling talus is not your thing, you may be able to find passage down into the gully and back up the other side. The trail up to the Citadel/Bethel ridge, your target is plainly visible from here (not in this photo).
Trail ran out somewhere near hear. If sidehilling talus is not your thing, you may be able to find passage down into the gully and back up the other side. The trail up to the Citadel/Bethel ridge, your target is plainly visible from here (not in this photo).
2144 The Citadel - 13,294 (SW from Herman Lake).JPG (175.88 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Last edited by habaceeba on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travis_sand
Trip Reports (9)

Post by travis_sand »

Without digging deep into these links right now, has anyone done the traverse between Pentingall and the Citadel. I have yet to decide what route to officially take, but it appears that that there is some good information from Hagar so I was just curious about heading up the Citadel and then heading over to Pentingall, or vice versa.

Thanks a bunch once again for all of the information, I live this forum as it is always full of useful information.

My roommate and a friend, whom do even a little more hiking than me is out of town trying Wilson and El Diente, among other things down there, so hopefully the mountains and rockslides in that area have stabilized a little bit.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

travis_sand wrote:Without digging deep into these links right now, has anyone done the traverse between Pentingall and the Citadel. I have yet to decide what route to officially take, but it appears that that there is some good information from Hagar so I was just curious about heading up the Citadel and then heading over to Pentingall, or vice versa.
Cooper describes the traverse between the Citadel and Pettingell in his Colorado Scrambles book.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

travis_sand wrote:Without digging deep into these links right now, has anyone done the traverse between Pentingall and the Citadel. I have yet to decide what route to officially take, but it appears that that there is some good information from Hagar so I was just curious about heading up the Citadel and then heading over to Pentingall, or vice versa.

Thanks a bunch once again for all of the information, I live this forum as it is always full of useful information.

My roommate and a friend, whom do even a little more hiking than me is out of town trying Wilson and El Diente, among other things down there, so hopefully the mountains and rockslides in that area have stabilized a little bit.
myself and a buddy will be doing the Pettingal to Citadel traverse tomorrow morning (among a few others), in that order. I've heard mixed reviews of the crux section on Citadel, raning from complex 4th class, to some easy 5th clas moves, and short. Here is a TR of a duo downclimbing and rappelling it, en route to Pettingal -

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Not sure if you are still interested, but myself and 2 buddies did this traverse, from Pettingell to Citadel saturday. The crux section on Citadel was littered with some slings and webbing, and its pretty clear you need to rappel this section. We were actually able to clear most of this from the mountain, one web was out of reach and not worth dying over. We found a narrow and vertical chimney to climber's right of where people had been rappelling. To call this scrambling and rock quality fantastic would be one of the biggest understatements of the millenium. By far the best scramble (unroped), I've done to date, sounded like my partners felt the same way.