HELP - Best 13er for Scenery & Solitude

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gsliva
Trip Reports (0)

Re: HELP - Best 13er for Scenery & Solitude

Post by gsliva »

Savage Peak up the Frying Pan River Road and stay in a Cabin at the Diamond J. Or you could stay at the Betty Bear Hut and climb Massive from there or just climb up to around 13500 feet or so and drop the bomb. It looks the same as a 14er and saves you an hour of climbing. You can drive to Ivanhoe Lake and mountain bike there as well. Just a suggestion.
Live for the Climb and the search for commitment.
Papillon
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 324 7
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Papillon »

What about Vermilion and/or the shores of Ice Lake?
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

I would recommend these.
San Juans - "T 11" or 13,159 both easy peaks and Columbine Lake is amazing. Way less crowded than Ice Lakes and just as good.
Sawatch - 13,090 from Truro Lake.
Front Range. Lion Lakes in Wild Basin and you could nab Alice from there.
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

I'm partial to my local stomping grounds.

Pick a 13er around Breck, some fairly easy ones, short hike, great views, etc...
You can't go wrong staying in a condo in Breckenridge.

I would go with something like Crystal, Father Dyer, or on the other side, Baldy, or Boreas.
If you need something with a little more challenge, go with Pacific Peak.

Cheers, Tim.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I concur with the last comment, but I'd suggest Fletcher Mountain from Blue Lakes. Short and relatively simple route, with a great summit.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

I agree with Papillon re: Ice Lakes Basin and Futhermore's Columbine Lake recomendation. I'd add Blue Lakes from Blaine Basin TH from rt.62 west of Ridgeway. I guess the theme here is REALLY blue lakes.

If you don't mind a bit of a backpack, take the train to Needleton, pack in to Upper No Name Basin, and find a pristine lake directly West of Jagged Pass and Peak. If I ever proposed, I'd pick here. If she bitched out and didn't make it to the lake, I'd simply climb Jagged, refund the ring and write that one off as not meant to be.

Snow should not be a huge problem, if any at all, in late September, but you never know, its impossible to say.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by lordhelmut » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:47 am
... If I ever proposed, I'd pick here. If she bitched out and didn't make it to the lake, I'd simply climb Jagged, refund the ring and write that one off as not meant to be.
:lol: =D> That is soooo classic! And, I totally agree. :wink:
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

I'm not sure how far you are looking to drive, but I have the perfect mountain for you. It never gets climbed and has amazing views.

It is called Mount Bellview over by Crested Butte. It's only 12,519 ft but has awesome views of the Maroon Bells and it not too hard of a hike. Access is very good from the Gothic road. Camping is available as well if I recall.

Check it out: http://www.100summits.com/full-summit-l ... Mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Its been pretty rare that I have ever seen anyone on a 13er summit in late September, so I don't think solitude is going to be all that difficult to come by on the peak. I think Ice Lakes is a very good suggestion and is not a difficult hike. Vermilion is a fine peak with fabulous close up views of the Wilsons and stellar views to the areas beyond. Its also a centennial and the San Juan county high point. I think its a good choice.

The other solitude consideration is hunting season, it will be archery season in September so there may be a couple of hunters, but from my experience I usually see them in lower elevations. Not sure if Ice Lakes is an area hunters like or not.

As for weather, its a total crap shoot. The last couple of years there hasn't been much snow in September but there has been some. Probably not where you will be camped, but higher on the peak will likely be some sort of snow cover. It depends on how recent the weather was, if its been dry and sunny for a period after the snow, a lot of the south and west faces will be melted., maybe completely. It it just snowed in the last couple of days, it may not have had time to melt out. In either case, wear waterproof boots and carry gaitors. Even just if its a couple of inches, snow is no fun to get down your boots.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
YEONDERIN
14ers: 50 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by YEONDERIN »

Tabor peak has a beautiful nearby lake and waterfall to spice up the occasion. It fits your description and when I was on it this year no one had signed the register in almost a year. I did a trip report if you are more interested.
Life and death are only a breath away, no matter where you are...
Living is only a breath away in the high country !

Being lost is a state on mind not a location of the body...
if you always are where you want to be then you can never get lost.

NEVER GROW OLD.....YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT ! (John Wayne)
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Peak 3 in the San Juans. Fairly easy climb but a view second to none. This is the view from the summit.

If you want something near Denver, Mt. Silverthorne would be a good one. Nice view of the Gores from the grassy summit.
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Barry Raven wrote:Peak 3 in the San Juans. Fairly easy climb but a view second to none. This is the view from the summit.

If you want something near Denver, Mt. Silverthorne would be a good one. Nice view of the Gores from the grassy summit.
Awesome views from Pk 3 but access is a problem for most people. Hope it stays that way too! 8-[