Square top route details requested

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
satch
14ers: 32 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Square top route details requested

Post by satch »

Hi,

Can anyone provide a description of the route one would take to get to the top of Square top mountain which is the 13er just west of Bierstadt? I've looked through these threads and on the internet but can't find any details. I just know it starts from the upper parking lot of next to Bierstadt off Guanella pass.

Thanks.
dave alex
14ers: 57 
13ers: 170
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Square top route details requested

Post by dave alex »

Park across the street from Bierstadt and follow the trail towards Square Top Lakes. The trail continues south past the lake and you'll eventually come to a sign that says South Park trail or something to that effect. Hook a right at that sign and continue up the ridge all the way to the summit of Square Top. The ridge is grass with some talus towards the top.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

As stated above, pretty much follow the trail to the lakes then follow the easiest looking route up the grassy east slope. Check out photo 3 in KeithK's report, he shows a good portion of the route from the lakes. It's a very nice hike.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include

--Derek
zoomie83
14ers: 40 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (1)

Post by zoomie83 »

If you looked on summitpost.org and didn't find anything, here's the link:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... ntain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The space between "square" and "top" is crucial.
timf
14ers: 35  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timf »

We did it a few years ago by going on the trail above Naylor Lake, past Silver Dollar Lake,a dnthen right at the third lake we hit the talus face before the right hand ridge that connects Square Top and Argentine. We then came down a steep gully that feeds back down to Silver Dollar Lake. I don't think our route was the standard route, but it panned out OK.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

I have a trip report x-posted:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look at the trip report x-posting, I also added a link to a mapmyrun route which should be helpful if you click on it and select "terrain" especially.
Have fun!
rpb13
14ers: 57  2  2 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (6)

Post by rpb13 »

You can also do Squaretop from the Argentine Pass trailhead located off of the Peru Creek road. It combines well with Argentine Peak this way.
satch
14ers: 32 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by satch »

Hi,

Thanks for all the info you all provided! I made it to the top last weekend from the upper parking lot across from Bierstadt. Nice change of pace from the throngs going up Bierstadt! I didn't see any other hikers until I was almost done.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

rpb13 wrote: by rpb13 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:27 am
You can also do Squaretop from the Argentine Pass trailhead located off of the Peru Creek road. It combines well with Argentine Peak this way.
Another suggestion amplifying rpb13 - take a spur ridge between Argentine and Square Top to obtain Wilcox - giving you three 13'ers for the price of one.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

I know this is an old topic, but I've created a route on 13ers.com: http://www.13ers.com/routemain.php?rout ... Mountain+A.