Matterhorn

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vespalad
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Matterhorn

Post by Vespalad »

Hey all, I'm trying to find some beta on Matterhorn. Specifically what I'm looking for is the elevation gain and how far it is from the Wetterhorn trail to the summit of Matterhorn. My best guess is 1200 feet and 3/4 of a mile, but again that is just a guess.

What would really be helpful is if someone could tell me how long it took them to climb Matterhorn from where the trail splits off from Wetterhorn: all the beta I'm finding is from the trailhead.

thanks in advance!
seanw
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Matterhorn

Post by seanw »

That seems about right. My GPS track shows about .8 mile/1150 feet from the saddle. You could probably take ~.1 mile off that since I didn't take the most direct route up initially. It took me about 1:20 from the saddle, but I was completely out of it at that point (after Uncompahgre) and moving incredibly slowly. The terrain was easy up to the talus... and then easier than I expected to the top. Had I done this one first and/or been feeling decent that day, it probably would have gone much quicker.

Here's a link to that trip: http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/892271

Sean
Vespalad
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Matterhorn

Post by Vespalad »

Thank you for the info, Sean!! This was exactly what I was hoping to find out.