Pacific/Crystal/Dyer in Tenmile Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Pacific/Crystal/Dyer in Tenmile Range

Post by highplaces »

Making plans for a Pacific/Crystal/Dyer loop and I have a couple of questions.

I’m planning Pacific Peak East Ridge to Crystal Peak to Father Dyer Peak, dropping down to Upper Crystal Lake and going out the Crystal Peak NE Ridge Route.

Haven’t found much info on the ridge between Pacific and Crystal. Is it an easy walk or a bit of scrambling?

Also, are helmets a good idea on this route? Is there much loose stuff?

Thanks!
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Pacific/Crystal/Dyer in Tenmile Range

Post by Jon Frohlich »

The ridge between Pacific and Crystal is all Class 2 talus hopping. Nothing difficult at all. There is a short (very short) downclimb and upclimb you will have to do of the notch on Pacific but it's easy and barely qualifies as Class 3. It's a great route. I haven't been from Crystal to Dyer so can't speak to that.
rpb13
14ers: 57  2  2 
13ers: 91
Trip Reports (6)

Post by rpb13 »

Jon Frohlich wrote:I haven't been from Crystal to Dyer so can't speak to that.
The ridge from Crystal to Father Dyer is a class 2 talus hike. If you continue to Mt Helen from Father Dyer you will be treated to a super-fun class 3 ridge.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

I was on Pacific this past Sunday. The ridge grabbed my attention - it struck me as a challenge and looked like a difficult (chossy, loose, and exposed) class 2. I wish I had my ultra-wide lens with me because I wanted to take a pic of the entire ridge. Instead I captured only bits and pieces. Hope to get back up there and complete it someday, along with the awesome east ridge of Pacific.

This is the most I could fit in a frame. This is looking towards Crystal from Pacific.
Ridge from Pacific to Crystal
Ridge from Pacific to Crystal
041.JPG (273.28 KiB) Viewed 1547 times
The notch that Jon mentions.
The notch
The notch
001_07.JPG (323.71 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
A close-up of the upper Pacific section of ridge.
Upper ridge
Upper ridge
002_02.JPG (300.46 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
I was on Crystal two weeks ago and the relatively broad ridge to Father Dyer looked much less exciting than the traverse from Pacific to Crystal. Have fun and good luck.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Jon Frohlich wrote:The ridge between Pacific and Crystal is all Class 2 talus hopping. Nothing difficult at all. There is a short (very short) downclimb and upclimb you will have to do of the notch on Pacific but it's easy and barely qualifies as Class 3. It's a great route. I haven't been from Crystal to Dyer so can't speak to that.
Yeah, what Jon said. You won't need a helmut either.
It stays 2nd class to Father Dyer.

Now I've heard the ridge from Father Dyer to Mt. Helen gets a little exciting, possibly even 3rd class.

Crystal Peak from just below the summit on Pacific
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Thanks everyone for the info and photos!
rpb13 wrote:The ridge from Crystal to Father Dyer is a class 2 talus hike. If you continue to Mt Helen from Father Dyer you will be treated to a super-fun class 3 ridge.
Kiefer wrote:Now I've heard the ridge from Father Dyer to Mt. Helen gets a little exciting, possibly even 3rd class.
I've read a bit about that route and it does look super fun! Have added it to my To Do list!
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

In case you were curious of the ridge between Father Dyer and Crystal....
By the way...sorry, I cant figure out how to make the photos smaller?!

Crystal from just below Father Dyer. Easy ridge the entire way.

If you dont go for Mt. Helen, you could always descend Father Dyer's ridge leading down to Crystal Lake, class 3. Picture is looking down towards Crystal with Greenhouseguy on this ridge.

Father Dyers ridge leading down to Crystal Lakes from near Peak 10:

--Derek
highplaces
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Went up Pacific on Saturday, it was a great route and a great day. But, with the high winds, cool temps and just enough snow to obscure each step, we opted to skip the loop over to Crystal and Dyer. I was bummed as it looked like a fun loop. Next time.