Shoshoni?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Shoshoni?

Post by MtHurd »

Heading to the Indian Peaks next weekend. My ankle isn't doing so well so I'm thinking an easier mountain is in store, maybe Shoshoni. I've read that the summer trailhead is closed in late September. So the question is, how far is it from the winter trailhead to the summer trailhead? How long of a day am I looking at in mid-October conditions from the winter trailhead?
sunny1
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 225 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Shoshoni?

Post by sunny1 »

Presume you're hoping to climb from the north, via Long Lake Trailhead, Pawnee Pass.
Per this gigantic link, the trailhead is still open.
There's a number you can call before you leave to get the most up-to-date info
If the gate is closed, plan on adding 2.9 mi one way to the Long Lake TH = long day!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... me=Arapaho
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Yep, that was the plan so the trail being open is good. I hope it stays that way. Thanks for the info.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Was at Fourth of July trailhead today, about same elevation as Brainard Lake, and 7 miles south as the crow flies. Little to no snow accumulation at the FoJ TH, the road to/from wet but clear. There is probably no good reason to close the road to Brainard at this time but this is the Boulder RD - never quite know what to expect.

Things were different at 12K feet. Expect SNOW!
Arapaho Glacier Trail
Arapaho Glacier Trail
003.JPG (219.97 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
ridelinkride
14ers: 12 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ridelinkride »

Hey yea i was up at Brainard today too, 42deg at around 3pm slight accumulation of snow in the shade but otherwise clear. The mtn however was just getting pounded!! I was contemplating doing Audobon this morning but since it's been raining all night it just doesn't boad well for the mtn trail.
Shoshoni is a GREAT peak though, one of my favorites and you are able to look down into the glacier from the top which is cool too. Be safe.
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Wow, lots of snow up high. Hopefully it won't get any worse.