How many peaks in 1 day?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Eph 2 5
14ers: 43 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (3)

How many peaks in 1 day?

Post by Eph 2 5 »

A few months ago there was a thread about how many 14ers could be climbed in day. It got me thinking about how many peaks above 13,000 could be climbed in a day, realistically, if the 3000' rule weren't followed. I wondered if I could, realistically, hike from Loveland Pass to Mt. Evans. That would be 8 peaks in the most direct line of travel - Cupid, Grizzly, Torreys, Grays, Edwards, Argentine, Square Top and Evans. I didn't calculate this very accurately, but I think that would be roughly 19 miles and 10,000 vertical feet. I figured I could ask someone to meet me at Guanella Pass in case I ran out of energy. I'll probably never try this because my knee has started giving me some slight issues for the first time in my life and I don't think it would be worth the risk of damaging it doing something like this. I enjoy thinking about it, though. Ignoring the knee problem and based on my hiking pace I think I could start at 3 a.m. on Loveland Pass and get to Evans by 5:00pm. It would need to be a day of perfect weather. A person in incredible shape might be able to add Sniktau, McClellan, Gray Wolf, Spalding, Sawtooth (the high point) Epaulie, Epaulet and Rosalie in a 24 hour period for a total of 16 peaks. Have any of you done or planned anything like this?
Rich H
14ers: 45  7 
13ers: 163
Trip Reports (0)

Re: How many peaks in 1 day?

Post by Rich H »

Peter Bakwin just went from Weston Pk up towards Fletcher....not sure how many that was in a day.
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

Maybe Doug Shaw will see this thread and respond. He's done Guanella Pass to Loveland Pass. They did not add Evans or Bierstadt if I recall.
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Not an answer to your question, but Jason Halliday did all of the northern Crestones in a 24 hour period a few years ago. I thought that was pretty cool.

Kit Carson via the prow, over to Challenger back over all the KC subpeaks to Crestone north couloir, across to the Needle on the traverse, down and over Broken Hand to Humboldt and I can't remember how they finished back on the west side. It was pretty impressive on those more demanding mountains...not exactly sure I'm right on all the details. There used to be a TR around somewhere.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Peter Bakwin did 21 peaks over 13K' in just 16.5 hours.
Here's the thread: http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26197

For peaks of *any* elevation, I believe John Kirk and Steve Knapp hold the record over on LoJ, with 26 ranked peaks (plus 1 unranked peak) in a single day!
Eph 2 5 wrote:Have any of you done or planned anything like this?
Hell no.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

by susanjoypaul » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:54 pm
Eph 2 5 wrote:Have any of you done or planned anything like this?
Hell no.
:lol: =D>
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Sugar Madison
14ers: 30 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sugar Madison »

Peter's route is probably the best way to get a lot of 13ers in one day. Weston Pass to Frisco was his intended route... that is a LOT of peaks.

Loveland to Evans looks pretty doable and not terribly complicated, other than the required car shuttle.
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

My friend Wes and I enjoy long ridge runs between car-accessible high passes. Our goal is not "as many peaks as possible" - neither of us are endurance runners or particularly "hardmen." We just find good, aesthetic ridge runs, come up with some vaguely creative name for them (usually), and go for it.

What's to plan? :mrgreen: Pick a period of good, stable weather (September is a good choice), drop a car at or near the endpoint the night before (or arrange a pick-up), drive around to the starting point and sleep nearby, pack a lot of food and water (but not too much, you'll be carrying it a long way), hope for good weather, start early and be prepared to finish late.

As for the traverse between Loveland and Evans, I recall we determined it was something like 7300 or 7600 vertical gained along the way from Guanella to Loveland (starting from the lower trailhead). It took us 18 hours in October with snow on much of the route, but again we are not speed demons. Tack on the normal elevation gain for Bierstadt and the Sawtooth and Evans and 10K is probably a good ballpark number - you might even break it.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

highpilgrim wrote:Not an answer to your question, but Jason Halliday did all of the northern Crestones in a 24 hour period a few years ago. I thought that was pretty cool.

Kit Carson via the prow, over to Challenger back over all the KC subpeaks to Crestone north couloir, across to the Needle on the traverse, down and over Broken Hand to Humboldt and I can't remember how they finished back on the west side. It was pretty impressive on those more demanding mountains...not exactly sure I'm right on all the details. There used to be a TR around somewhere.
John Prater and Bill Wright did a loop that is vaguely like this: up Ellingwood Arete to the Needle, across the traverse to Crestone Peak, down the north couloir, up the Prow to Kit Carson (with side trip to Challenger), then back across the ridge to South Colony. Just over 15 hours car-to-car.
http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/tripre ... Linkup.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
JsinDeAZ
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JsinDeAZ »

If you're lookin' at 14ers, I'm pretty sure you could get the entire Tenmile/ Mosquito range all in a day. I did the DeCaLiBron + Quandary on a single day. I could have tossed in Sherman, but was underprepared (and didn't know how easy Sherman was).
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron
highpilgrim
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Jim Davies wrote:[John Prater and Bill Wright did a loop that is vaguely like this: up Ellingwood Arete to the Needle, across the traverse to Crestone Peak, down the north couloir, up the Prow to Kit Carson (with side trip to Challenger), then back across the ridge to South Colony. Just over 15 hours car-to-car.
http://www.wwwright.com/climbing/tripre ... Linkup.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the link. I'm always in awe of the people that can cover that much difficult ground in such a short time. There have been times when I've been in pretty fair shape but even then I can't imagine covering that much ground that fast. I guess I'm just more cautious, and getting slower whether I like to admit it or not. :(

Good thing I'm not driven to try stuff like that. It leaves more time to sit by the fire with friends and a good cocktail... :D
JsinDeAZ wrote:If you're lookin' at 14ers, I'm pretty sure you could get the entire Tenmile/ Mosquito range all in a day. I did the DeCaLiBron + Quandary on a single day. I could have tossed in Sherman, but was underprepared (and didn't know how easy Sherman was).
I'm assuming that you did them by completing the decalibron and then going over to get Quandary? What they're talking about is a different beast. If you had done the decalibron and then traversed over Drift and Fletcher, both high 13ers, and then done the West ridge of Quandary, I'm thinking you would have found it a little more difficult. And that would only get you about halfway on what they're describing.

A serious undertaking.
Last edited by highpilgrim on Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Post by Furthermore »

Last year I did a long traverse requiring 2 car shuttles to get 12 ranked 13eeners in a day. I suppose if one wanted, they could add more "easier" 13eners at that point via 4WD roads near Silverton.

The 12 ranked 13eeners in a day.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

5 easy 13eeners near Silverton.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... m=tripuser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

8 Pack of 13eeners near Lake City.

I think it would be VERY reasonable for someone to combine the Lake City 8 pack and the 5 in Silverton for 13 13eeners in a day. That has a nice ring. 13 13eeners.