Bancroft/James Peak Wilderness area

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mlees
14ers: 14 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Bancroft/James Peak Wilderness area

Post by mlees »

Anyone been up Bancroft recently or nearby area? Trying to get an idea on snow depth, and need for snowshoes.
2005trek1200
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bancroft/James Peak Wilderness area

Post by 2005trek1200 »

ill bump this because i am planning on heading out there tomorrow to skin up James...
Ridge runner
14ers: 49  12 
13ers: 100 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Ridge runner »

I may be up near Bancroft/Parry/Eva/Flora tomorrow. If I go I'll report conditions.
mlees
14ers: 14 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by mlees »

Cool, thanks! Maybe i'll see yall up there. Heading up in a few hours :-) wahoo
2005trek1200
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2005trek1200 »

just found this pic on twitter...

http://yfrog.com/6bjyknj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its not me and its from a week ago, but i think tomorrow's skin up and ski is going to be sweeet...
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

2005trek1200 wrote:ill bump this because i am planning on heading out there tomorrow to skin up James...
What time are you planning on starting? A couple of us are planning to climb James....and if the weather cooperates, possibly Bancroft.
Gueza
14ers: 58  58  21 
13ers: 41 14
Trip Reports (15)

Post by Gueza »

2005trek1200 wrote:ill bump this because i am planning on heading out there tomorrow to skin up James...
I'll be on skis tomorrow on James maybe Bancroft too.
Good luck breeds bad habits.
hatidua
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hatidua »

Will be heading up towards James Peak tomorrow (from East Portal) but will likely pitch a tent at Heart Lake and spend Saturday night there.
centrifuge
14ers: 57  1  2 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (33)

Post by centrifuge »

was up on James last week from St. Mary's and it had a good amount of snow on its slopes. Had no need for snowshoes on the way up but they would have been really nice crossing the flats later in the day. We made an effort to take the steepest routs on snow so we did not follow the ridge, instead we cut straight up the steeper slopes to the western side of the southeast slopes and were able to kick snow like it was early june. It made for 3 nice glissades on the way down. :)
Looking across towards James (on the right) and Bancroft (on the right) 11/7/10
Looking across towards James (on the right) and Bancroft (on the right) 11/7/10
frozen jamaica super small for 14ers.jpg (157.78 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
looking over at Bancroft from about 13k on James Peak, Ice Lake is down below us
looking over at Bancroft from about 13k on James Peak, Ice Lake is down below us
Ice Lake In The Sky super small for 14ers.jpg (312.77 KiB) Viewed 1489 times
"i feel so extraordinary, somethings got a hold on me, I get this feeling I'm in motion, a sudden sence of liberty“ new order
2005trek1200
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 2005trek1200 »

was up on st mary's this morning...sorry didnt see everyone's reply before i left.

the conditions at the glacier were terrible, with visibility roughly ten feet. i turned back because i had never done the route and frankly 1.) didnt want to get lost and 2.) didnt have the time to be screwing around up there (have a puppy at home)

would be interested to see if any of you guys trudged forward...
glacierPaul
Trip Reports (0)

Post by glacierPaul »

One of you guy's,or gals, left behind a pair of poles on Steuart road, aka Loch Lomond Rd. yesterday. I have them, pm me. Will post in lost and found also. As far as now, conditions are the same, only stronger wind right now.
BTW, centrifuge, sweet pic's!
jameseroni
Trip Reports (11)

Post by jameseroni »

A buddy of mine and I camped out on the 12th, rising early on the 13th to attempt Bancroft's East Ridge. The conditions were horrendous and we were turned back. We pressed on to gain the east ridge (hoping the wind would die down) but conditions only persisted to get worse. We were faced with whiteout's more than once, easily 40+mph winds, snow and below zero (with wind chill) temperatures.

On the way down we ran into GlacierPaul on his 4wheeler. Thanks for stopping to check on us man! Were were certainly tuckered!

Here is a video of what the conditions were like.. Only worse up higher.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1674132290358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh and as for snowshoes, They possibly could've been left behind, but it was that "gray" area, I would bring them.