Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

13ers.com

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports
Site Administrator

13ers.com

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:54 pm

If you are looking for photos of a 13er, take a look over on 13ers.com. Like 14ers.com, it has hundreds of photos of the peaks. Complete with peak lists and mountain range information, it's a great resource for thirteeners.

Expect to see more photos and to the site in the future.
Last edited by BillMiddlebrook on Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Re: 13ers.com

Postby tmathews » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi, Bill,

I was looking over at some of the 13ers.com peak pages and was wondering if you had any plans on adding information about the difficulty of the routes (Class 2, 3, 4, etc.). I didn't see that information, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place....

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:21 pm

There's only about 25 routes out there so far and they do include the difficulty rating. If a peak has route pages, it will say so next to the peak name on the peak list (by range).

For Example, you'll see in this list that the 13ers in the Tenmile all have routes:

13ers.com - Tenmile Range
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby Toni Marie » Wed May 25, 2011 10:31 am

I have a general question about Mt. Lady Washington and Mt. Meeker in regards to trails. I have a friend who wants to do 14ers, but he's not in the greatest cardio shape and doing some 13ers first would probably be best. Plus, these are a bit closer to where he lives. Anyway, my main questions are:

1) Mt. Lady Washington doesn't seem to have a specific trail. I have climbed the Keyhole Route up Long's, so do you just leave that trail and scramble up Lady Washington?

2) What about Mt. Meeker? Is there a specific trailhead for that peak? Is this another peak that lacks a defined trail?

I've never done a 13er before and would like some beta before I go and take some friends with me.
Toni Marie
"I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky. The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby. Rocky Mountain High, Colorado."

Postby tmathews » Wed May 25, 2011 10:40 am

Toni Marie wrote:1) Mt. Lady Washington doesn't seem to have a specific trail. I have climbed the Keyhole Route up Long's, so do you just leave that trail and scramble up Lady Washington?

Yep, it's a lot of talus-hopping, but the direction is pretty straightforward. For a more circuitous route, you can follow MLW down to the Longs/MLW saddle and get a great view of The Diamond and Chasm Lake below.

Toni Marie wrote:2) What about Mt. Meeker? Is there a specific trailhead for that peak? Is this another peak that lacks a defined trail?

You just take the trail from Chasm Junction toward Chasm Lake. This is where there the trail to Granite Pass and the trail to Chasm Lake diverge. You stay low on the trail instead of heading toward the lake, though, and head up the Loft route for Longs. Depending on the time of year, it can either be a snow climb or a lot of talus-hopping. The exit ramp from the Loft is kind of exposed, too. I imagine Meeker would be tougher for said friend.

Postby viejo » Wed May 25, 2011 11:13 am

Just a quick word of caution. Just because a summit is a 13er doesn't necessarily make it less of a cardio load than a 14ers. I think Meeker, at 13,911 is physically more taxing than many of the starter 14ers.

Also, if you're looking for hikes to get started (assuming we're talking summer time), going in to the 13ers around Longs from the Long's peak trailhead still puts you in the parking debacle that so defines the Longs Parking lot.

I'd also recomment that if your friend is just starting to get his cardio going, that you stick with trailed routes for awhile. Flattop in RMNP, Audobon in the IPW, Thunder at Cameron Pass/Thunder Pass, Twin Sisters or Estes Cone (from Lily Lake) might all be better suited to getting cardio comfort built up.

Postby jam6880 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:25 am

Those thirteens are pretty big days to hike so I should chose something else with less vert and miles. They are some easy 13ers in sawatch area that are super simple. Some examples are mount Oklahoma, French mtn, and mount hope.

Postby jdorje » Wed May 25, 2011 11:35 am

viejo wrote:Just a quick word of caution. Just because a summit is a 13er doesn't necessarily make it less of a cardio load than a 14ers. I think Meeker, at 13,911 is physically more taxing than many of the starter 14ers.

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing. Look at distance and elevation gain involved - for most 13ers total gain may not be clearly marked but you can estimate it by the altitude difference from trailhead to summit. Meeker at 4500-5000' is surely a longer hike than the majority of 14ers, and I believe is a low-end class 3; even ML Washington must be near 4000' of gain from the trailhead at 9400. Something class 2 with less than 3000' of elevation gain is probably what you want.

Also while 13ers may average around 1000' lower than 14ers, the trails are generally not as good. Many of the easiest 14ers have well under 3000' of elevation gain and well-defined trails. Snow may make high trailheads less accessible and raise overall difficulty of the hike, of course. If you're looking in RMNP there are a lot of accessible 13ers that may be relatively short hikes, as suggested above (I don't really know).

Another option to limit distance is overnight camping.

http://14ers.com/routes_2.php
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby dsunwall » Wed May 25, 2011 1:52 pm

jdorje wrote:
viejo wrote:Also while 13ers may average around 1000' lower than 14ers,
that is close enough as a rule of thumb. I thought it would be fun to know exactly how much lower on average the 13ers are. the answer is they average 756' lower. :)

14ers average 14157'
13ers average 13401'

Postby ajkagy » Wed May 25, 2011 2:02 pm

shhhhhh don't tell anybody there are other mountains that offer better climbs/and or descents than a lot of the 14ers. I like my mountains people free :)
http://www.resortbeta.com - An interactive ski/snowboard experience for all your favorite ski resorts.

Postby Papillon » Wed May 25, 2011 2:23 pm

ajkagy wrote:shhhhhh don't tell anybody there are other mountains that offer better climbs/and or descents than a lot of the 14ers. I like my mountains people free :)

I believe there was an entertaining discussion regarding 14ers, 13ers, crowds, "elevationistas", etc., last Friday on this forum. 8)

Solid post, viejo. I believe the easiest 13ers in RMNP would be Chiquita and Ypsilon from either the Chapin Pass TH (Old Fall River Road) or the Alpine Visitor Center. But one is above treeline 90% of the time and there really isn't a defined trail. That's also a pretty windy location.

A good progression up in RMNP would be:

Deer Mountain (6 miles and 1000 vert)
Twin Sisters or Estes Cone (7 miles and 2300 vert)
Flattop-Hallett (tops out at 12713 feet)

I think the last thing you want to do is take somebody out and have them suffer.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby jomagam » Wed May 25, 2011 2:41 pm

I believe there was an entertaining discussion regarding 14ers, 13ers, crowds, "elevationistas", etc., last Friday on this forum. 8)

What was the subject ? I need a good laugh.

Next