Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Colorado Couloir Conditions

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Re: Colorado Couloir Conditions

Postby astrobassman » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 am

Went up Dreamweaver yesterday (5/22). The snow conditions made for a fast climb. The cruxes are starting to get iced up so two tools was nice to have. The third crux was the hardest. I haven’t done this route before, but from pictures it looks like more ice can form in the cruxes than what we experienced, so in a few weeks it might make for more interesting ice climbing.

Postby JB99 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:29 am

gb wrote:Nice climbs, jjust.

American Basin Report

Thanks for the post, I was just about to ask about conditions in these couloirs and voila! you cover all four in one trip report. Could you give me an idea of about how steep Independence gets? Roach lists it as moderate, but 30-45 degrees is a wide range.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."

Postby lodgling » Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 am

EatinHardtack wrote:gb, How'd the surrounding peaks look around that area? Niagara or Jones group look good for skiing at all? Heading down there on Thursday night.

Fritz (killingcokes) has a shot of Niagara on his blog at the bottom of his report from our ski of Handies last Wed. (5/16):

http://makingturns.com/?p=1569

Hope that helps.

Postby gb » Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am

JB99 wrote:
Thanks for the post, I was just about to ask about conditions in these couloirs and voila! you cover all four in one trip report. Could you give me an idea of about how steep Independence gets? Roach lists it as moderate, but 30-45 degrees is a wide range.

Patriot was the least steep, we were actually able to skin the whole thing. Indy was next, Victory was quite a bit steeper, and Traitor steeper still. Indy already had a bootpack so it was really straightforward and that might skew my answer, but I'd say 35-38 or so. If you're just after one couloir to gain the summit, Victory would be my recommendation, as it is quite aesthetic and tops out closest to the summit. FWIW.

Postby CODave » Wed May 23, 2012 11:49 am

gb wrote:
JB99 wrote:

Patriot was the least steep, we were actually able to skin the whole thing. Indy was next, Victory was quite a bit steeper, and Traitor steeper still. Indy already had a bootpack so it was really straightforward and that might skew my answer, but I'd say 35-38 or so. If you're just after one couloir to gain the summit, Victory would be my recommendation, as it is quite aesthetic and tops out closest to the summit. FWIW.

We were the ones who climbed Independence earlier that day. I think sdkeil measured it about 38 degrees.

Postby JB99 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:55 am

Thanks for the replies... I'm looking for one the dog and wife will enjoy too, sounds like Indy or Patriot will fit the bill. Thanks again.

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue May 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Luttrell Line is SUPER nice. Best snow climb for me to date!!
Attachments
view up to summit.jpg
Luttrell
view up to summit.jpg (312.09 KiB) Viewed 623 times
fox trav.jpg
Luttrell fox traverse
fox trav.jpg (344.27 KiB) Viewed 623 times
view up to trav.jpg
Luttrell
view up to trav.jpg (328.69 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby FireOnTheMountain » Tue May 29, 2012 3:30 pm

San Jouqin Cooley is very much in also!
Attachments
up san jouqin.jpg
up san jouqin.jpg (317.43 KiB) Viewed 621 times
san jouqin.jpg
san jouqin.jpg (327.25 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the CO

Postby Matt Lemke » Tue May 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Apostle Couloir is looking great right now for Ice Mountain. I am going to do Ice via this route tomorrow...see my North Apostle conditions report for a pic from yesterday.
Lemke Climbs
The Pacific Coast to the Great Plains = My Playground
"Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping"
"When you come to face what you fear, let the creator guide you"

Postby maverick_manley » Tue May 29, 2012 9:19 pm

Is dead dog pretty dead for skiing for the year? Does anyone have pics of this area from the last weekend? Thanks.
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

Postby Tim A » Tue May 29, 2012 9:57 pm

I hiked Gray's on Memorial day and there were at least five or six people who got some decent lines in on the dog.

There were also at least a dozen people who picked lines into the bowl from different places on the saddle, and I ended up glissading the same route mid-afternoon. In the morning it looked very slick and icy, and by 11 or so the snow had warmed enough to be very slushy. Still got a decent gliss in but not sure how long the snow will remain.

Postby maverick_manley » Wed May 30, 2012 11:49 am

TheodenKing1 wrote:There were also at least a dozen people who picked lines into the bowl from different places on the saddle, and I ended up glissading the same route mid-afternoon. In the morning it looked very slick and icy, and by 11 or so the snow had warmed enough to be very slushy. Still got a decent gliss in but not sure how long the snow will remain.

Great, thanks for the info. I think I'll go check it out.
My Brain Stops at Treeline but my Soles will Summit

PreviousNext