Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fletcher+Atlantic+Pacific Combo?

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Fletcher+Atlantic+Pacific Combo?

Postby carson_h » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:23 pm

I can't find any trip reports for a Fletcher+Atlantic+Pacific combo. Is the ridge between Fletcher and Atlantic really nasty? Any advice would be great, pictures would be even better. Thanks!

Re: Fletcher+Atlantic+Pacific Combo?

Postby davebobk47 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:27 pm

I believe it is in Dave Coopers book. The ridge from Fletcher to the Atlantic is described by Cooper as "arguably the most dangerous route in this guidebook"
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality." -T.E. Lawrence

Postby lordhelmut » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:28 pm

carson_h wrote:I can't find any trip reports for a Fletcher+Atlantic+Pacific combo. Is the ridge between Fletcher and Atlantic really nasty? Any advice would be great, pictures would be even better. Thanks!

Here's JBChalk's account of the Atlantic to Fletcher section.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12736&parmuser=jbchalk&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Postby denvermikey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:31 pm

The ridge between Fletcher and Atlantic has been called one of the more difficult traverses in the state. Roach's Thirteener's book doesn't even list the traverse as a viable option. This is not to say that it is not doable, just very difficult. I remember looking at the ridge on my way up the west side of Atlantic thinking that it would take a serious effort to traverse this...
I'll see if I can dig up a picture from my Atlantic climb.

-Mike
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - Unknown

Postby jbchalk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:52 pm

carson_h wrote:I can't find any trip reports for a Fletcher+Atlantic+Pacific combo. Is the ridge between Fletcher and Atlantic really nasty? Any advice would be great, pictures would be even better. Thanks!

Pacific to Atlantic is a breeze when compared to Atlantic to Fletcher. For Atlantic to Fletcher, see Helmut's reply above.

Postby carson_h » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:00 pm

lordhelmut wrote:

Here's JBChalk's account of the Atlantic to Fletcher section.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=12736&parmuser=jbchalk&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

Great trip report -- probably not a great fall/winter route for me :-D

thanks!!!

Postby Greenhouseguy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Here's a shot of the Atlantic/Fletcher ridge, taken from Atlantic in September 2009. Looks like dragon's teeth:

"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby LetsGoMets » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Here is a shot of the ridge I took a few weeks ago from the West Ridge of Quandary.
Attachments
IMG_5715.JPG
IMG_5715.JPG (232.14 KiB) Viewed 516 times
http://www.thepeakbaggingapp.com. Track your climbs on hundreds of lists. It's super cool (and free), for iOS and Android devices.

Postby CORed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:59 pm

That stretch of ridge is called "The Rock Fountain" in Ormes' "Guide to the Colorado Mountains".