Avalanche at St. Mary's glacier

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Avalanche at St. Mary's glacier

Post by Alby426 »

myusernameis wrote:]
alby, I gotta call bs..... you should have not been on a slope you clearly were unable of accurately assessing the safety of!
and, get off you educational pedestal.
Alby426 wrote:In regards to the demonstration, I did it in the most controlled manner and, yes I lost control, that was the point!
You need to know that I was surprised to see how many people are told or think that you should use your feet to self arrest. Well, DON'T! The proof is in the video. That is the reason I did it. It is now used by many organizations and forums to make the point.
I feel that you are missing the point... I, like most other posters on this site are very glad to be able to see an example of what it could 'look like' but you are basically asking to tear an acl, mcl, lcl..... ankle, hip.... stab yourself with an axe, tumble onto ice /rock gear and concuss yourself.... and end up quickly moving from a demonstration into a real rescue scenario..... I feel that the readers of this forum and those where that video is reposted, should undoubtedly be greatfull for the provided learning experience, however it IS completely WITHOUT control.
My point is. I am glad your ok, no one was worrying about you or your party facing life threatening ailments, however your blatant self exposure to potential harm time and again requires a different avenue of thought towards your evaluation of 'risk assessment'. In addition, when it comes to backcountry travel knowing the terrain and being able to safetly assess the terrain you are on, and will be moving on is a much larger part of the issue. you all could have easily been killed by not granting the respect required to terrain you clearly knew nothing about, and could not accurately assess, I don't care what the reasons (visibility, cliffs, ignorance, or the fact that you had your head up your ass).... simply because what you were standing on would not slide does not mean you are in any way clear of a slide path, or in danger of remotely triggering a slide... WHICH YOU WERE!!!! you need to go take an avy class, and stop back talking the potential lessons people learned from your incredibly lucky scenario. You know cars great...... you clearly don't know snow...
(im sorry im not sorry for being a complete dick here.... its this thought process that will cause someone like you to kill someone like me someday,,,, because you survived this one,, you think you have good risk mitigation and assessment skills, and you don't.... when s**t happens,, youll live.... youll just kill someone else.)

="There are old mountaineers, and bold mountaineers, but there are no old, bold mountaineers." (Author unknown --)

Geee, this an old one: about a year old!
Well thank you for your wise words and, the enlightment about my supposd lack of skill :-D
Do you know who I am?
Have a good day :-D
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

alby, I gotta call bs..... you should have not been on a slope you clearly were unable of accurately assessing the safety of!
Pretty stupid on your part to call someone out like that, a full year after the original post. A year is a long time - for all you know, in that time period, the OP may have gotten extensive avalanche training as a result of the experience, and you are shouting about something that isn't even relevant now. But my guess is, you started clicking away on this avalanche thread, assuming that it was recent because of the December date, but failing to notice the year of 2012 (rather than 2013) in the OP and subsequent posts. Nice attention to detail there. Better tighten that up; attention to detail is one of the most essential aspects of safe and successful mountaineering.
klinger
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by klinger »

Mountain nerds meet internet troll.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

klinger wrote:Mountain nerds meet internet troll.
True, very true. I think we all know that the best way to treat a troll is to ignore them, but it's so incredibly difficult. Kind of like allowing someone to have the last word in an argument. No one wants to do that.
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Gee, I feel so much safer now that you've called BS. Your sage advice will keep us all safe in the field. But on the other hand, we could all just respond with something lame and juvenile. :thefinger:

Edit: Sorry guys, fed the troll. I meant "But on the other hand, we could all just :YY That should help keep the peace.
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells