Gore Recommendations

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
rjennings
14ers: 19 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Gore Recommendations

Post by rjennings »

Anybody have any recommendations for the Gore Range this weekend? I am headed up to Edwards on Friday and was hoping to do something in the Gore Range (anywhere from Edwards to Silverthorne) on Saturday without snowshoes or flotation...
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." -John Muir
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Gore Recommendations

Post by Scott P »

I am headed up to Edwards on Friday and was hoping to do something in the Gore Range (anywhere from Edwards to Silverthorne) on Saturday without snowshoes or flotation...
Recommendation: Take snowshoes or flotation. :-D
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Floyd
14ers: 58 
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

I second the snowshoe recommendation but also if you want a summit, I suggest either Bald Mountain or Outpost's South Ridge. The view from Outpost is probably a little nicer IMO.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

The North Tenmile Trail is probably packed down and bootable (was thinking of going back there tomorrow, actually). You might get lucky with some of the trails on the Vail side. You may be able to walk around a bit up around Shrine Pass.

I'd look for busier THs. Cars = people = packed trails.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
rjennings
14ers: 19 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rjennings »

Thanks for the recommendations...got an invite for some backcountry touring, so just going to rent an AT setup (checkmark on the flotation...)
"The mountains are calling, and I must go." -John Muir
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

For the record, I went about 3 miles in on the Meadow Creek trail today. First mile-plus well packed and easily bootable, next mile after that snowshoes help but not necessary, then it's virgin terrain. Well, not anymore now that I've been back there :) I surmise most trails with easy road access are similar.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
highplaces
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 3
Trip Reports (9)

Post by highplaces »

Went to Peak 1 yesterday. The trail was well packed to the Mt. Royal junction, and less consolidated beyond eventually disappearing. Barebooted to the Mt. Royal junction (microspikes would have been a reasonable choice as well), snowshoes between the junction and Victoria, and a combination of bareboot/spikes from Victoria to Peak 1.