Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Conditions at St. Mary's/James - question about crampons

Colorado 13er questions, conditions, and other info should be posted here. Also includes topics related to 13ers.com. 13er Trip Reports

Conditions at St. Mary's/James - question about crampons

Postby rking007 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:13 am

Heading up to St. Mary's and hoping to do James and Bancroft this Sunday. My question is, is this a good time to practice wearing crampons or should I wait for a few more weeks what with all the snow lately? I've owned them for about a year now and never worn them so I'm itching to get out and go for it! Obviously I'm just talking about the conditions of the snow field and not the entire route regarding crampon practice. Thanks in advance!

Russ
- Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.

Re: Conditions at St. Mary's/James - question about crampons

Postby wrchad23 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:52 am

Hi guys,

this was the most recent St. Mary's/James Peak thread so I wanted to bump this one.

Has anyone been up there lately? I was hoping to make an impromptu hike to start the season off on Saturday. It's supposed to be a high of 63 in Denver but having taking my Jeep Wrangler offroading to the top of mine road (the hill about 11-11.5k directly west of the glacier) I know how windy it is up there ALL the time. I have poles but not crampons or snow shoes so I was trying to get an idea of what I needed if any. I hiked Hanging Lake a few weeks ago and the ice was bad at spots.