Tenmile traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Tenmile traverse

Post by James Dziezynski »

Might I suggest saving it until September or October? I've done the full range twice, both times when colors were in full bloom and weather was less a concern. Scouting out a good parking area at Breckenridge is a good idea too (you could be tacking miles of road walking on to an already long day).

Or stash a bike :)
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
KudzuKard
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KudzuKard »

Saw this posting and was wondering about the Tenmile Traverse from Frisco - Peaks 1 thru 10. My biggest question is camping. I have no issue on the camping in or around Frisco/Dillon, but was more curious about camping along the ridge there, near the flatter tundra parts especially in the saddle between 9 and 10. Is this allowed?
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Most people doing the traverse tackle it in one day. AFAIK it's national forest land, so the usual rules apply, but there's no water up there (unless there's snow to melt). I would not want to lug up camping gear and extra water.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Yeah - planning to camp is probably a not so good idea. If you start on Peak 1, you can then figure out bailout points after Peak 4-ish. You'll run into the CO Trail, which will take you pretty easily down back to town in the East, or to Copper in the West - but at least to treeline. After that, you can probably just nimbly go down into the ski area. You may want to even see if the gondola is operating!

This is probably a route you wanna go fairly light and fast on. Getting caught in a storm on the ridge would be no bueno. All that camping gear would slow you down, and be awkward with the traverse from Peak 1 - 4. Def. try to get to Peak 4 well before noon and then just watch the weather.
KudzuKard
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KudzuKard »

Appreciate the input. Was curious, but my friend thinks it may be too much for his wife, so we are looking at doing the entire thing and as you said opting out after 4 if we need to OR hiking up to the saddle between 4 and 5 (saw something about that) and then heading to 10 that way. Of course we may also just do the easy paths (lines where the lifts cut through) and tackle 8, 9, 10. These are basically to prep us for doing our first 14er and would not be attempted until we acclimate a bit. Thanks again.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

KudzuKard wrote:These are basically to prep us for doing our first 14er and would not be attempted until we acclimate a bit.
Everything you're proposing is harder than an appropriate "first 14er" would be. 14ers are largely trade routes, while 1-4, or 4/5-10, or 8,9,10, or particularly 1-10 are very much non-trivial.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

IMHO, the tenmile traverse is much harder than doing, say, Quandary, which is only 9 miles away.

A good acclimation hike - if you are worried about actual elevation, would be just simply: Peak 1. Nice good grunt up to start, and then you've got a lot of little sub peaks to mark progress on. Tops out at 12 thousand, something-or-other.

The last push after the "saddle" is slightly technical and the views at the top are pretty sweet. I'd say the going is harder than Quandary: the start is steeper, the middle is more exposed, and the end is more technical.

The other option you're thinking of: starting out on the CO Trail and up to the ridge, and then going South would be pretty nice. If you're running out of time, you could just do the entire traverse over the range, east to west and take the bus from Copper, back to Frisco-ish. There's a bus stop just a few hundred feet from each of those trail portals, and the bus is free.

The accessibility to these peaks is pretty incredible, especially when it comes to bailout options that don't leave you stranded.

Good luck!
AndyJB444
14ers: 16  1 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndyJB444 »

I did the traverse once where I had my g/f drop me off at the Frisco trailhead, while she drove to Breck and hiked/ran up 4'oclock trail to the top of pk 8 where we met up again. We then knocked off 8/9/10 together and dropped back down to beers and the car in Breck.

No waiting for busses or anything, and everyone got to get their workout and views in their own way. Just a thought...
KudzuKard
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KudzuKard »

Well we have decided since not everyone in the group wants to deal with the technical aspects of traversing Peak 1 to Peak 4, we may do the Miner's Trail (I think that is what it is called) instead where it crosses between 5 and 6 with a much more gradual ascent. If we are doing well then, we may opt to add Peaks 7, 8, 9, and 10. Yes, Quandary is going to be our first 14er to summit. I don't have acclimation issues but my party may. Guess we'll see come summer...
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

FYI, it is possible to bail from the saddle between Peaks 3 and 4. This past summer an early storm rolled in and we had to bail from there. It wasn't pleasant but it was only Class 2, steep at first then some boulder hopping. Hit the Miners Creek trail back to Frisco.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev