Tenmile traverse

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jomagam
14ers: 16 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Tenmile traverse

Post by jomagam »

Does anyone know the conditions ? I assume there's still plenty of snow now. When does it usually become hikeable ?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Tenmile traverse

Post by justiner »

Quite a bit of snow - Peak 1 has quite a cornice on the top of the peak - not sure how you surmount it, if you take the regular route - you'd have to traverse over to the East ridge much earlier than you usually do, to avoid it - I checked it out on Wed. from the weather station - didn't get much closer, as the weather is a little erratic.

There's also a wet slide on Peak 6 that you can see from town.
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Thanks ! Do you think it's going to be mostly dry by say July 1st ?
gonzalj
14ers: 40  1 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (11)

Post by gonzalj »

Here's a look at current snow conditions from quandary to peak 8 from a distance. From peak 8 to peak 1 is pretty much the same.
Attachments
tenmile sunrise small.jpg
tenmile sunrise small.jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
davebobk47
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 130 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

Definitely won't be dry by July 1. There's been multiple large slides in 10 mile canyon that hit the bike path (they have been cleared) as well as below Peak 1. I'm looking to do the traverse this summer but will likely wait til later July or Aug. I live at the base of Mt Royal so I've been up there a bunch- still snow even lower on Royal.
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Makes sense that there's more snow than last year. http://www.runnersworld.com/rt-columns/ ... e-traverse Amazing that some can do the whole thing in 4:15 .
davebobk47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

WOW, was feeling pretty good about myself getting close to 1 hour round trip for Mt Royal, not so much now :)
"Mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve. They are the cathedrals where I practice my religion." -Anatoli Boukreev
jomagam
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jomagam »

Thanks Dave. I'll probably do it in 14 hours, but nice to know what world class is.

On a related note, can I ask how Royal Flush, the rock climb up to Mount Royal looks ?
davebobk47
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davebobk47 »

I've been eyeing that route as well. There are pockets of snow in a few places on the face but I'm not sure they cover any of the route. I'm fairly certain people have already been climbing Royal Flush this season so you should be good to go. Some snow on the trail down but not too much, and its only up higher.
Breckskier
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Breckskier »

justiner wrote:Quite a bit of snow - Peak 1 has quite a cornice on the top of the peak - not sure how you surmount it, if you take the regular route - you'd have to traverse over to the East ridge much earlier than you usually do, to avoid it - I checked it out on Wed. from the weather station - didn't get much closer, as the weather is a little erratic.

There's also a wet slide on Peak 6 that you can see from town.
You're not kidding about that cornice. Took a look on the way to work this morning and WOW. It looks massive from 3,000 below, definitely never seen it like that before.
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller
Scooby Koob
14ers: 28  1  1 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scooby Koob »

Just skied Peak One this morning,solid freeze last night the summit was perfect skiing at 8am. Dry dry to Royal saddle, No real post holing to Victoria, but the people who climbed it yesterday later in the day definitely were. I'd be interested in the traverse soon. Would probably want to be past 2 by 8am just because of warmer temps. Here is the view from 1 South.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

If you go on July 1st, I would be interested in coming along, my day off!
Ragin Cajun