Colorado's best "on the d/l" scrambles

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Colorado's best "on the d/l" scrambles

Post by Sean Nunn »

Monster5, you should write a book about these detailing each one. Seriously, you could make money. It's a lot better idea than:

Guiding people up easy Front Range peaks, or

Climbing all the 14ers one summer and pretending that would somehow qualify you to be a full time climbing equipment guru.
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Sean Nunn wrote: Climbing all the 14ers one summer and pretending that would somehow qualify you to be a full time climbing equipment guru.
Now now, I know I've only climbed maybe 10 14ers, but I pretend to be a full time climbing equipment guru all the same.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
Sean Nunn
14ers: 35 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Sean Nunn »

polar wrote:
Sean Nunn wrote: Climbing all the 14ers one summer and pretending that would somehow qualify you to be a full time climbing equipment guru.
Now now, I know I've only climbed maybe 10 14ers, but I pretend to be a full time climbing equipment guru all the same.
Does any company pretend to pay you? :-D
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains."
Psalm 36:6
handonbroward
14ers: 42 
13ers: 46
Trip Reports (5)

Post by handonbroward »

Tory Wells wrote:
Monster5 wrote:Crescent Mtn SE face, JeffCo (5/5)
Now that's a d.l. scramble. I'm excited to try this one, thank you.
This one is good, and so accessible. You really can make it as hard or as easy as you want to. There are 2 distinct ridgelines to choose from, one being much more challenging than the other. Have at it!
"I hurt, therefore I am" - Barry Blanchard
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Sean Nunn wrote: Does any company pretend to pay you? :-D
Every month! In the form of a 1% cashback on my credit card...
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

[/quote]

Pretty sweet list! Having just done some scrambling this weekend, I'm looking for more fun routes on solid rock to do. Any updates to this list after two years?[/quote]

We kind of talked about this late last season but I was just checking it out again yesterday. The South ridge of South Boulder Peak is actually pretty challenging. I was in a rush when I did it because of fading light and want to try again. Let me know if anyone is interested.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Huh I was out of country and didn't see this until now. I haven't done many 13ers in the past few years, but I have actually updated the list a bit and posted a word doc:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fdsht4x98iq7r ... .docx?dl=0

Yeah, I've heard good things about Avery. I've heard those ridges make for great winter or spring climbs too.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

I'm with Justin on loving the Flatirons. No better hiking to scrambling ratio anywhere in CO and you will not see anybody unless on the few trade routes.

Here's a spreadsheet I made from the Roach guide for anybody interested...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Geesh Ryan! That list is pretty impressive.
Last edited by Brian C on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

handonbroward wrote:
Tory Wells wrote:
Monster5 wrote:Crescent Mtn SE face, JeffCo (5/5)
Now that's a d.l. scramble. I'm excited to try this one, thank you.
This one is good, and so accessible. You really can make it as hard or as easy as you want to. There are 2 distinct ridgelines to choose from, one being much more challenging than the other. Have at it!
Speaking of accessibility on Crescent, what's the current story on the proper approach for that? I had some issues with private property when I was up there in spring.
Bob Kocher
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Bob Kocher »

I'll vouch for Avery's Red Diamond Face too. Based on the date of gb's 14erskiers.com TR, it looks like we climbed it two week after they did (we descended the south ridge via trail segments and some minor bushwacking to get to trail 401). I'd gladly repeat it. It's more like a 1/2 day trip, which means you get to Third Bowl in CB quicker!
Runner342
14ers: 6 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Runner342 »

Notchtop Mountain/Spire from the divide. Fun and exposed as long as you know what you're getting into. I soloed up to the high point as well as the top of the spire (slightly lower in elevation). Not sure if I can recommend the spire though because afterwards I read it may be prone to breaking off as sections have in the past...