Wheeler Peak, New Mexico

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Wheeler Peak, New Mexico

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Any recent beta for the snow conditions on the Williams Lake route? I'll be heading down there this weekend. Thanks!
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Wheeler Peak, New Mexico

Post by kimo »

We were up there on Saturday 11/2. Went up Bull of the Woods to the Wheeler Pk trail, then down from the summit to Williams Lake and back to the car by walking on the road. Glad we had snowshoes for the ascent up Bull of the Woods Mountain and through La Cal basin. The Williams Lake route held some snow but probably nothing you couldn't boot up. You might find traction devices useful in spots. Or maybe not. Some pics:

The upper slopes of Wheeler Peak. Williams Lake can be seen down below.

Approaching the summit.

The descent to Williams Lake.
Greenhouseguy
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Thanks, Kimo. Great information!
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Toas Ski Valley got 14 inches of snow two days ago, so be prepared.
abqben56
Trip Reports (0)

Post by abqben56 »

The Powderhorn snotel at TSV, at about the same elevation as the lake itself, is reporting 23 inches.
Greenhouseguy
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Ouch! That's a lot of snow. I hiked it in mid-November with no snow at all in 2010. Sounds like it will be fun. Thanks for the info.
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

We were there yesterday via Williams Lake route. Snow up to our knees from last storm. Because it was very warm the snow had the consistency of mud. We used snow shoes. The basin held less snow once out of trees. The good news is we broke trail for you.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Greenhouseguy
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

desertdog wrote:We were there yesterday via Williams Lake route. Snow up to our knees from last storm. Because it was very warm the snow had the consistency of mud. We used snow shoes. The basin held less snow once out of trees. The good news is we broke trail for you.
Thank you much! I was a little concerned about avy danger with that quantity of snow.
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

Be careful, Greenhouse. That Williams Lake route does go through some dicey areas that look as though they could break loose. There wasn't much snow then when Mongoose & I climbed it a few weeks ago, but Mongoose & I commented on how we might be uncomfortable if it had more snow. I don't think it should deter you from going, especially if a trail has been broken...but be aware, as I'm sure you will.

(Remembering our snow climb on that windy day on Elbert a few years ago...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpbBa0 ... q9ONPnzEFc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

It's a beautiful area. The switchbacks above Willams Lake do cross a few avalanche paths, so be careful.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.55827 ... =0.25&a=sf
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Greenhouseguy wrote:
desertdog wrote:We were there yesterday via Williams Lake route. Snow up to our knees from last storm. Because it was very warm the snow had the consistency of mud. We used snow shoes. The basin held less snow once out of trees. The good news is we broke trail for you.
Thank you much! I was a little concerned about avy danger with that quantity of snow.
Yes, we talked about it and it made us nervous for sure. Didn't see any slides or signs so we went for it. I would definitely agree with the other comments be careful.
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
Greenhouseguy
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

semitrueskerm wrote:Be careful, Greenhouse. That Williams Lake route does go through some dicey areas that look as though they could break loose. There wasn't much snow then when Mongoose & I climbed it a few weeks ago, but Mongoose & I commented on how we might be uncomfortable if it had more snow. I don't think it should deter you from going, especially if a trail has been broken...but be aware, as I'm sure you will.

(Remembering our snow climb on that windy day on Elbert a few years ago...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfpbBa0 ... q9ONPnzEFc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, Jim, I thought about that trip and threw some handwarmers in my backpack just in case. I also have a lanyard on my camera so it won't pop out of my pocket again! I called the ranger station in Questa for conditions, and he sure didn't offer me any encouragement. We'll probably hit Santa Fe Baldy instead. Thanks for all the responses.