San Juan "good" Itinerary

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

San Juan "good" Itinerary

Post by steelfrog »

Howdy! Taking my 3rd of 6 children on a trip this summer (last couple weeks of July) and we want to do the San Juans area. Have a 4wd. Chicago Basin was a brief thought but have heard so many bad things about it we would like to avoid it. I want to do several 2-4 day excursions with some lesser-climbed peaks in there, stay Class 3 or less. Was thinking about the 13ers of the Blue Lake basin. Also, maybe Vestal S face and Arrow NE face; maybe Turret or Jupiter. There's a really cool looking high lake just north of Peak 5, between Peak 5 and 6. Maybe a little dayhike up Engineer. Lookout Peak maybe?

I would love suggestions of your favorites as to best views, bang for buck etc. Looking for the elusive cool summit without mobs of people.

Many thanks!
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Re: San Juan "good" Itinerary

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

Really missing out by skipping the Chicago Basin.
FireOnTheMountain
14ers: 53  1  23 
13ers: 269 29
Trip Reports (23)

Post by FireOnTheMountain »

how adept at climbing/exposure etc. is your 3rd of 6?
Everyday is a G r A t E f U L Day here in the ID...?
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Pretty adept. Looking to stretch but I want to keep it 3rd class or below. She has free solo up to 5.8 but that isn't the goal. Carrying no ropes
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Somewhat of a Prick wrote:Really missing out by skipping the Chicago Basin.
I thought about coming up from Columbine lake and traversing over to Jupiter?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

How about the Ice Lakes Basin? It isn't exactly unknown though.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
LadyClimber
14ers: 6 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LadyClimber »

My husband and I backpacked into Vestal Basin this past summer and had a wonderful trip. Much quieter area than Chicago. In fact we were there Saturday through Tuesday (leisurely trip), and after Sunday we didn't see anyone! We did a day hike exploring the upper and lower basins one day and climbed Wham Ridge on Vestal the next. We found Vestal to be quiet straight forward (barely 5th class) with pretty solid rock. The descent off the s. side was a little loose with a tad bit of route finding.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Scott P wrote:How about the Ice Lakes Basin? It isn't exactly unknown though.
Sorry that's what I meant when I said Blue lake. I was thinking Fuller Vermillion and Golden Horn and maybe go over and tromp around on US Grant. If we camp up by Fuller lake maybe fewer people.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Sorry that's what I meant when I said Blue lake

Gotcha. I was thinking you meant Blue Lakes Basin by Sneffels. Lots of good places are all over the San Juans.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Google earth is amazing. Plenty of trails visible that don't appear on a map.

But if you all who have been there could recommend some hikes/climbs you really liked that would be great.
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

Speaking of Blue Lakes ... sounds like you're thinking more along the lines of 13ers, but among 14ers, Sneffels southwest ridge will be far less busy than most 14er routes, at least until you summit. It's easy, fun class 3, mostly solid, with straightforward routefinding. Several great 13ers in that area too, which others could speak to.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

We did that last summer. Dallas looked cool too. And Patosi is a possibility. We also did Hayden Peak near the North Pole San Juan hut