San Juan "good" Itinerary

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: San Juan "good" Itinerary

Post by Vincopotamus »

steelfrog wrote:Will do. Does anyone know if I come down that drainage to the river, can I cross it there? Looks to be a bushwack on the east side of the river.
From the bottom of No Name it's shorter and easier to hike about 2-3 miles south down the east side toward Needleton to cross via the bridge there, and there is good trail at least from about "North Pigeon Creek" to Needleton. The other option would be to bushwack north on the east side of the river up to the bridge near Elk Creek, which is probably about 5 miles with no trail that I'm aware of. Fording the river at No Name would likely be very challenging, even in late summer.
The only time I lower the bar is après
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Vincopotamus wrote:
steelfrog wrote:Will do. Does anyone know if I come down that drainage to the river, can I cross it there? Looks to be a bushwack on the east side of the river.
From the bottom of No Name it's shorter and easier to hike about 2-3 miles south down the east side toward Needleton to cross via the bridge there, and there is good trail at least from about "North Pigeon Creek" to Needleton. The other option would be to bushwack north on the east side of the river up to the bridge near Elk Creek, which is probably about 5 miles with no trail that I'm aware of. Fording the river at No Name would likely be very challenging, even in late summer.
+1
I once ran into an Outward Bound instructor at Needleton while waiting for the train. He showed me his topo, which had a bunch of "routes"
marked on it. He said that they don't allow students to do the bushwhack north from Noname Creek without an instructor.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

OK thanks; that's what I thought; so we will head to the Needleton bridge then
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Vincopotamus wrote:
Completely agree. I was hiking down the train tracks from the Elk Park and my goal was Ruby basin - but there was no way I could wade the Animas river before Needleton bridge, at least not with a heavy pack (this was in July).
yorksman
14ers: 13 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yorksman »

About 3 years ago I hiked north from the Needleton stop along the east side of the river heading for Noname Creek. It really is a pretty straight forward hike with some sort of trail for most of the way. When you get close to the Needleton Water Tank you climb a couple of hundred feet in a short distance but it is not that bad, then you decend fairly quickly as well. After that it is pretty level all the way to Noname Creek.

I hiked all the way up Noname creek to the small lake just northwest of Jaggeed Mountain then proceeded over the saddle to the eastside then south to Sunlight Lake, headed south again to the unnamed lake south of Sunlight lake which is about the same size but higher up on a plateau from here I proceeded west for the saddle between Sunlight and Windom Peak down into Chicago Basin. I did this all solo in 3 days, 2 nights. I never saw anybody up Noname or on the eastside of Windom Peak.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Well that sounds promising!
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Ok here is the Sick Lake Loop:

steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

OK--here's another idea--to remove the huge hike down No Name drainage and back up the RR tracks; call this Sick Lake 2, after doing Arrow we go up onto that ridge that leads to Peak 3 and then over to Lake Silex, then loop around to Sick Lake then over to Leviathan and back to Silex then to Molas; thoughts? 34 miles and 17k gain

geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Why not just do this? Removes backtracking and unnecessary elev gain/loss .
Attachments
1-30-2014 12-23-32 PM.jpg
1-30-2014 12-23-32 PM.jpg (217.84 KiB) Viewed 616 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

You see. This is why I love this site! Thank you! There is actually a trail over that pass on Google Earth! That is stinking awesome!
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

With that change I was able to avoid duplication and at the same time add Vallecito Lake and El Dorado Lake, the views from which look astounding on google earth... Now 32 miles and 16k gain

steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

OK; further refinement; it seems that going from Beartown/Kite Lake cuts like 7-8 miles off and about 3000 feet gain, so that may be the way to go; turn this from a 5 dayer into a 4 dayer; 24 miles instead of 32.

Thoughts?