Couloir Season 2014 - too soon?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Couloir Season 2014 - too soon?

Post by shearmodulus »

I've done little italy and the flying w right side on pikes the last couple of weeks. Little italy was perfect hard snow, but the flying W was unconsolidated. It probably got another twelve inches last night, so I'd wait until it gets firmer. The cornice and little italy were looking slabby on Wednesday.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

taylorzs, great write up.
It's easy to get ancy. I will wait a bit but I can't wait to get out!!
brett.t.burch
14ers: 29 
13ers: 1 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by brett.t.burch »

It's transitioning fast but definitely beware that the Tyndall Gorge has had some instability lately: http://avalanche.state.co.us/forecasts/ ... ont-range/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I skied the Dream Chutes, Terrain Park, and some northern aspects above Lake Haiyaha on the weekend of 4/5-6. We could literally hear people scraping their way down Dragon's Tail around noon from Dream Lake. North facing stuff skied like winter but we saw wet slides on south facing slopes.

Also note the dust from 3/30 is going to cause a very fast melt statewide, so once things go isothermic, get after it quickly.

I plan on digging around Blue/Mitchell lake tomorrow for some recon and will add more here if I do.
shearmodulus
14ers: 18  1  1 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by shearmodulus »

I'm headed up to Little Italy again tomorrow. I'll post some updated conditions.

Also will be at Lincoln falls on Wednesday, getting some ice climbing in. More to follow.
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads...."
moose_535
Trip Reports (0)

Post by moose_535 »

As of 4/18, Flattop's south face routes had variable snow conditions from great to terrible. Very warm day. Wet slides became a concern as the day progressed.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

moose_535 wrote:As of 4/18, Flattop's south face routes had variable snow conditions from great to terrible. Very warm day. Wet slides became a concern as the day progressed.
Damn. Wet slides in mid-April? Ugh. I remember being at the base of Dragons Tail last spring with Johnson watching the wet slides break loose all around us.
It was mesmerizing. Like watching slow moving rivers of sand. Needless to say, no climbing that day.
Thanks for this update. A buddy and I were eschewing this but not having much luck. :wink: Thanks for the update.

On a related note,
would anyone be interested in climbing 'Slingshot Couloir' on Capitol later on next month? Should be a tough bugger.
Picture #2
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

climbed up naked lady on Snowdon on Thursday. conditions were absolutely perfect.
Climb up Pints down
Hoot
14ers: 58 
13ers: 150
Trip Reports (36)

Little Italy on Pikes

Post by Hoot »

The Little Italy couloir on Pikes Peak was in great shape this morning (4/19) for climbing and glissading.
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

GeorgiaTyler wrote:climbed up naked lady on Snowdon on Thursday. conditions were absolutely perfect.
Was there still continuous snow from 550 around Andrews Lake up to the base of the couloir? Wondering if I will need snowshoes or if the approach is still skin-able.
The only time I lower the bar is après
GeorgiaTyler
14ers: 22 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeorgiaTyler »

absolutely skinable. I wouldn't snowshoe because the ski back to the car was a lot of fun. Lots of snow still out there.
Climb up Pints down