Couloir Season 2014 - too soon?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ash-ish
Trip Reports (0)

Couloir Season 2014 - too soon?

Post by ash-ish »

How is the season looking. Any info on conditions for the following?

RMNP: Dragon's tail, Chaos, Notch
Mt. Arkansas - North Couloir
Cristo Couloir
Atlantis Couloir
Hopeful Couloir

Any info will be much appreciated!
Voodoo302
14ers: 19 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Couloir Season 2014 - too soon?

Post by Voodoo302 »

I just asked about Dragontail, got some good beta here:

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 19#p522419" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's never too soon to start thinking about couloirs!
ash-ish
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ash-ish »

Thanks! looks like dragon's tail is in conditions permitting.
davebks
14ers: 10 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by davebks »

My friend skied Cristo yesterday, said it was great. I only saw one pic and it looked awesome.
I'd also like to get out soon. If anyone's looking for someone to get out with on something mellow but fun let me know.
taylorzs
14ers: 57  35  3 
13ers: 95 31 9
Trip Reports (76)

Post by taylorzs »

I would not say it is definitely too soon but I would not say we are quite there yet either. I know some people have been getting out on some big lines. There have also been several recent avalanches. In the last couple days there have been two ski triggered avalanches reported. One was in the Cristo couloir on Quandary and the other was a SE facing aspect above treeline, near Berthoud pass. Both avalanches occurred on Wednesday. While we are finally seeing a decrease in persistent slab problems (for now), there is still a windslab/storm slab issue, particularly on at and above treeline slopes. Avalanche conditions have remnants of winter (windslab/storm slab) and spring type (day warming/wet slab) avalanche problems right now and it is a bit complex. There are big lines that are probably safe to ski now and many that are not. If you go up, make sure you are very adept at recognizing changing snow conditions, particularly identifying when you are climbing into a slab in a couloir and be ready to turn around quickly. Also, a pretty good sized storm is forecast to come in tomorrow night and snow all Sunday for a lot of Colorado, particularly Front Range and Vail area. Upwards of two feet is being forecast on the high end. If that happens the avalanche hazard will become considerable quickly and most couloirs will be places I would not go for a while.

Anyone who is not familiar with the Colorado Avalanche Information Center please visit their website to get the most accurate updates on avalanche conditions in Colorado:

http://avalanche.state.co.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have fun and be safe!
"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds." Edward Abbey

http://www.zachtaylorsnowboarding.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mcmanusj
14ers: 43 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mcmanusj »

Anyone have info/pics of Dragon's Egg on Meeker? I've been asking around but haven't heard anything
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

I'm down with the egg
clemsonmtneer
14ers: 35  6 
13ers: 23 6
Trip Reports (15)

Post by clemsonmtneer »

mcmanusj wrote:Anyone have info/pics of Dragon's Egg on Meeker? I've been asking around but haven't heard anything
A week old, but took this shot of the Dragon's Egg from St Vrain on Friday April 4. Was looking pretty bare, but perhaps Sunday's upslope storm will help
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (162.12 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
Jerousek
14ers: 45  2  9 
13ers: 39 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jerousek »

This wasn't on your list, but we did Martha's Couloir on Mt. Lady Washington yesterday, and it was in pretty fantastic condition. Note that Martha's is South facing. There could easily be some wet slab potential in there if you get too late of a start. Though I suppose this could be said for most aspects right now.
“It is an honor and a privilege to be alive, however briefly, on this marvelous planet we call Earth.”
Ed Abbey
Brimstone10
14ers: 40  2  3 
13ers: 9 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Brimstone10 »

A few friends of mine went up dragons tail on Saturday, they said it was perfect conditions. With all of this new snow it could be a whole different story now
ash-ish
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ash-ish »

Thanks guys, this is all good information.
moose_535
Trip Reports (0)

Post by moose_535 »

Jerousek wrote:This wasn't on your list, but we did Martha's Couloir on Mt. Lady Washington yesterday, and it was in pretty fantastic condition. Note that Martha's is South facing. There could easily be some wet slab potential in there if you get too late of a start. Though I suppose this could be said for most aspects right now.
Did you happen to drop a glove and some cord about halfway up? Found these on Friday. Left them at the TH.