Conditions on Rosalie?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
maurer_kg
Trip Reports (0)

Conditions on Rosalie?

Post by maurer_kg »

Anyone been up Rosalie in the past couple weeks? How's it looking? Snowshoes needed?
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Conditions on Rosalie?

Post by 12ersRule »

Pretty safe bet you'll want them still.

Go here: http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/search ... p?State=CO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Search for Rosalie.

Click on Snow Depth link. Snow depth link brings up a map centered at Coordinates for the summit of Rosalie:

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/ ... &js=1&uc=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maurer_kg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maurer_kg »

Ah, very nice! Thanks for the links and the great resource.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Was up in the Echo Lake area this morning. Got a glimpse of Rosalie and above treeline it's pretty bare. But in the trees around Echo Lake, the snow was VERY deep and unless you have a packed trail all the way, you will need snowshoes for Rosalie, I'm sure.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
maurer_kg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maurer_kg »

Wonderful. Thank you, Jay!
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

If you are going up from Deer Creek, I would bet the trail is well packed a good ways up to the ridgeline, but it would never hurt to be prepared with your snowshoes! That TH is close enough to Bailey and a few subdivisions to get some traffic.
Ragin Cajun
maurer_kg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maurer_kg »

Thank you. Good to know!
SteveBonowski
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SteveBonowski »

Drove by Rosalie couple days ago (Thursday) on the way to Salida via US 285. The south side was pretty white. And more is coming tonight and tomorrow.

I've done Rosie (Ref.: "Get a Whole Lot of Rosie," by AC/DC) a number of times from the Deer Creek trailhead and I concur with the opinion about likely needing snowshoes. Route-finding may also be a problem higher up in the drainage where the trail bends to the left, or west. The only other option is to stay in the drainage and bushwhack up through all the willows, on the old trail. That was not a pleasant experience before the trail re-route some years ago, and probably is worse by now.
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

I've been hitting that place hard for my workouts recently over the last month or so. There's a trench to treeline, and I would recommend snowshoes. Below treeline at about 10,800' or 10,900', bear right and avoid the trench that goes left (which I put in early March and is more direct to the ridge and not the saddle to the east of Rosalie, but is older). Don't try driving to the summer TH yet. My bet is that people will be able to make it to the summer TH the weekend of the 26th-27th, but not next weekend.
maurer_kg
Trip Reports (0)

Post by maurer_kg »

Thanks so much, Darcy. Good to know!
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

Managed to make it up without snowshoes recently. But of better news is that the Forest Service removed the registration box at the trailhead that "required" you to fill out a wilderness permit.
Last edited by DArcyS on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clarissa
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Clarissa »

That is a great resource. Thanks for the links.