Mt. Guyot Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
MyFeetHurt
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Mt. Guyot Conditions

Post by MyFeetHurt »

I assume you started at the Breck side of Georgia Pass, but if you started from the Jefferson side, how far up can you drive and was the road skiable?
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

MyFeetHurt wrote:I assume you started at the Breck side of Georgia Pass, but if you started from the Jefferson side, how far up can you drive and was the road skiable?
We started on the Breckenridge side.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Oh nice!! Thanks Bill!!! Great pics! I need to talk these guys into changing our route.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Bring cheatmobiles. :-D

The Breckenridge approach to Georgia Pass is much longer than the NW ridge route and it's still buried in snow. We blasted out 4 miles of the approach, parked at 10,800', skinned up to the pass and booted the east ridge.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
mikemalick
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 202 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by mikemalick »

In case anyone is still wondering about Guyot conditions, these were taken today via the Little French Gulch/Northwest Ridge/Slope route:
P1000854.JPG
P1000854.JPG (188.64 KiB) Viewed 385 times
P1000859.JPG
P1000859.JPG (173.55 KiB) Viewed 385 times
P1000868.JPG
P1000868.JPG (313.55 KiB) Viewed 385 times
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Great pics!

From a skiers perspective: softish, but not spring like between 13,150 to 12,000. Below 12,000 we found some really nice corn! We were able to "ski" from summitish to within 100 feet of the car.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage