Gore Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Gore Range

Post by boudreaux »

The CMC's Guide to the Colorado Mountains has the northern parts called the "Park Range". But the entire chapter has it all listed as the Park Range, with the sub groups listed as Park, Gore, Ten Mile, Mosquito. This is from the 10th ed and has very brief route descriptions of the Gores.
Ragin Cajun
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

westandy wrote:Hey, I am trying to find good beta on the Gore. I have been reading trip reports on 13ers, and Cooper's scrambles mentions the Grand Traverse, but I wouldn't mind suggestions on routes for hiking/scrambling, skiing, and possibly other traverses.
Here is what I found to be a good place to start. Get a map and a Sharpie pen. As you sift through the resources you just mentioned, transfer the peak names to your map. For me, actual names are far better than a bunch of similar "UN" numbers. And as a bonus, it is fun ... kind of like doing a crossword puzzle!
Gore puzzle.JPG
goreskier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by goreskier »

sometimes it is best to not spray about places. want to find out more about the gore range? go to one of the many trailheads and explore. bring a gps, lots of deet, food, water, and patience. places like this take the adventure out of exploration.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

goreskier wrote:places like this take the adventure out of exploration.
lol
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks for the advice. It would be well taken if I had all the time in the world or lived near them. Alas, neither of those is true, so actual planning is in order.

And this place is awesome! And (most of) the people are helpful, and awesome.

I have been to the Gores twice, which is why I want to go back again.

I'm thinking this year, Valhalla, and maybe Snow; Powell; maybe Q
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Nice. The Gores are beautiful and I hope you have a great time. Be safe
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
goreskier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by goreskier »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
goreskier wrote:places like this take the adventure out of exploration.
lol
Let me rephrase, sir. Threads like this take the adventure out of exploration. This site is good for a lot of things. This thread however takes the fun out of finding out for yourself.
goreskier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by goreskier »

steelfrog wrote:Thanks for the advice. It would be well taken if I had all the time in the world or lived near them. Alas, neither of those is true, so actual planning is in order.

And this place is awesome! And (most of) the people are helpful, and awesome.

I have been to the Gores twice, which is why I want to go back again.

I'm thinking this year, Valhalla, and maybe Snow; Powell; maybe Q

Hey man, definitely get on top of Q. One of the best in my opinion. Powell is a good one too, especially if you bring skis. The hourglass gulley and the west face offer some excellent ski options. Get after it, make a plan, and just explore.

Heath
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Let me rephrase, sir. Threads like this take the adventure out of exploration. This site is good for a lot of things. This thread however takes the fun out of finding out for yourself.
Post immediately after:
Hey man, definitely get on top of Q. One of the best in my opinion. Powell is a good one too, especially if you bring skis. The hourglass gulley and the west face offer some excellent ski options.
Um, don't these posts contradict each other? :?: :-D
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
boudreaux
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

The Spider and the Fly!
Ragin Cajun
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Yep--have my eye on those as well; there's just too damn much!

I REALLY like high little lakes; I know there are some around Powell; prolly just head back in there and thrash around a few days...

I made a custom topo on mytopo that includes basically the central Gores and the topography back there is sick.
goreskier
Trip Reports (0)

Post by goreskier »

Scott P wrote:Post:
Post immediately after:
Hey man, definitely get on top of Q. One of the best in my opinion. Powell is a good one too, especially if you bring skis. The hourglass gulley and the west face offer some excellent ski options.
Um, don't these posts contradict each other? :?: :-D
No, actually they don't. I didn't provide a detailed topographic map or any directions. Simply told him that he should check out and explore those mountains.