Gore Range

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Gore Range

Post by steelfrog »

Ya I saw that info on SP. It was 2010 dated. Anybody know if it is current?

Thanks
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Send him an email. We purchased in 2012.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

TDK wrote:What are the snow levels in the Gore Range now?
There's still snow around here on northern and eastern aspects at four-digit elevations, for example Mount Royal. It snowed here yesterday. Stay the hell out of the Gore Range, people.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Sorry I am not finding his e mail on the interwebs?
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

steelfrog wrote:Sorry I am not finding his e mail on the interwebs?
Oh yeah, actually I think you have to write and mail a letter to his po box first!
It's worth the effort.
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

I've got a copy of his book and would be willing to make copies at Kinkos and meet somewhere for the exchange. I think it runs around 22-23$ or so. Its more for the novelty though, as the descriptions are basically sentence fragments. Cool historical info nonetheless.

The best resource seems to be Summitpost to be honest. There are a bunch of reports on here as well, for all the major drainages and some of the lesser known ones.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

Kramarsic frequently responds to messages here and to the SP mailing address. I purchased several items from him some months ago and they were delivered promptly.

Agreed that if you're looking for pure route descriptions, online TRs are your best bet. If, however, you're interested in the historical exploratory aspects and prefer less-detailed route descriptions, his works are very well researched and interesting. His difficulty ratings are slightly harder compared to the general CO staples though.

Bit of an odd offer from a fellow guidebook author there, Brian.
lordhelmut wrote:I've got a copy of his book and would be willing to make copies at Kinkos and meet somewhere for the exchange. I think it runs around 22-23$ or so...
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

One more question; is there any decent maps of the Gores? I have the TI map of Vail that has some stuff...
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

steelfrog wrote:One more question; is there any decent maps of the Gores? I have the TI map of Vail that has some stuff...
There are several, but unfortunately they are all printed in invisible ink.
d_baker
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Monster5 wrote: Bit of an odd offer from a fellow guidebook author there, Brian.
lordhelmut wrote:I've got a copy of his book and would be willing to make copies at Kinkos and meet somewhere for the exchange. I think it runs around 22-23$ or so...
gaper move.

steelfrog wrote:One more question; is there any decent maps of the Gores? I have the TI map of Vail that has some stuff...
Buy a copy from Kramarsic, get out the map, and start marking! I went through my TOPO! program and created a map of my own, along with a copy of Ormes Atlas (which Kramarsic sites frequently).
climber with a k
14ers: 13  4 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climber with a k »

Do not try and hike in the Gore range. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. The truth that there is no Gore Range.
Any day in the mountains from which you come home tired, dirty, hungry, thirsty, with a little too much sun and in one piece is nothing short of perfect.
Tempelton
14ers: 52 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Tempelton »

I think I found one at jeffco public library by ordering it through prospector. It was interesting, but trip reports on this site are much more useful.