Conditions around Silverheels and Horseshoe

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Conditions around Silverheels and Horseshoe

Post by huffy13 »

A bunch of us are going to be staying in a cabin near Blue River starting on May 31st through June 7th and I am wanting to hike Horseshoe/Peerless and Sheridan (maybe more) with my brother and my older two kids sometime around the 3-5th and then take my wife's cousin and a couple of others up the south ridge of Silverheels via the Beaver Creek TH. What are conditions looking like right now? I know it has been snowing a lot and from recent Quandary TRs it looks like my plans may have to change.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
akoller
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 23 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Conditions around Silverheels and Horseshoe

Post by akoller »

I don't know how useful this is now, but I did Silverheels 2 weeks ago via the south ridge and conditions were reasonable. Most of the dirt road (past the winter closure) was clear of snow and snow conditions were not that bad afterwards. The road was gated at the winter closure.
Mark A Steiner
14ers: 3 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mark A Steiner »

Today the east facing slopes of Hoosier Ridge (south of Boreas Pass) and the Mosquito Range south of Hoosier Pass were very white above 12,000'. Silverheels, being just east of the Divide. usually receives less snow and tends to melt out earlier. If the weather remains sunny, rapid improvement in the area can be expected. A follow-up response by a 14ers member in the next couple of days may help you with preparation as your trip date approaches.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Like it or not, I am a slow driver. Putt ... putt ... putt ...
Good day.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Thanks, folks...I gathered from a couple of friends up there that the south slopes looked pretty clear and wind-swept a couple of weeks ago. Sounds like it might still be doable in a week or so. Hopefully Horseshoe and his neighbors will look promising also.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.