Montezuma, Unicorn and Summit

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
flatlandTX
Trip Reports (0)

Montezuma, Unicorn and Summit

Post by flatlandTX »

We are having a hard time finding info on the trails for these 13ers near Pagosa Springs... Just curious of difficulty of each of these and relative distances from trail head. Thanks ! and sorry if this is a repost ( i couldn't find anything on the forum).
tdliles
14ers: 33 
13ers: 32
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Montezuma, Unicorn and Summit

Post by tdliles »

We did Summit and Unicorn from the East a couple of years ago (Treasure Creek), so not sure our route would fit a Pagosa start. Summit is great and the south approach is a walkup on grassy slopes, albeit steep. Unicorn is the same, but a little bit scrambly at the top (still class 2 at the most). Nice CDT section just to the East of both peaks to ease access, though you may have to cross some steep snow fields at places (we did in June). Much fun walking above treeline with great views.
Tom and Stef
flatlandTX
Trip Reports (0)

Post by flatlandTX »

Yea. When I posted this I didn't realize the road I was counting on was a 4x4 trail.. was up too late I suppose. Didn't want to travel so far. But now I guess I will look into Pagosa Peak.

Thanks!
bdwyer
14ers: 58 
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Hiked all three of these from Treasure Creek t/h yesterday. LONG drive in, but no road access issues, and not difficult. We did leisurely, with snow avoidance and postholing issues in 7 hours. If you wait a couple weeks, it will be easy, with all the trails easier to find. Will post a detailed trip report soon