Quick 13er for Sunday morning... "near" denver...?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dark Helmet
14ers: 7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

Quick 13er for Sunday morning... "near" denver...?

Post by Dark Helmet »

I'm driving to Denver (DTC) Saturday and will have time Sunday morning to knock-out a quick 13er...

I have to be in Victor, CO at ~4pm for a class I'm taking (~60min west of C.Springs)

I'd like to keep it at/under 6mi if possible...

a fun 12er would work too...

thoughts?
EatinHardtack
14ers: 42  20  3 
13ers: 79 32 2
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Quick 13er for Sunday morning... "near" denver...?

Post by EatinHardtack »

Mt. Pennsylvania. Hour and a half up and down. Super easy access just south of Fairplay.
"In our youths our hearts were touched with fire" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Mt. Sniktau & Grizzly via Loveland Pass.
James Peak via St. Mary's Glacier.
Heck, why not Bierstadt?
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

thanks guys!
Dark Helmet
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dark Helmet »

tlongpine wrote: Heck, why not Bierstadt?

because I live at 1300ft and would need a day or two to acclimate for that.

a short/low 13er I can do.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Sniktau and/or Grizzly.
Boreas Peak from Boreas Pass looks like a good option too (if Boreas Pass is accessible which I assume it is)
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
powhound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by powhound »

Sentinel Point 12,527'. Trailhead is 10 minutes from Victor. Just did it yesterday by a different route, but the finish is the same. You can keep the last little climb to the summit at class 2+ or poke around a bit for some class 3 fun. Feel free to PM if you want detail.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

The Citadel is my favorite close-in 13er. It's a straight shot up I-70 and there is some fun scrambling on the final summit block. You can start from Dry Gulch or Herman's Gulch. By the way, there's still a fair amount of snow up there so get an early start!
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Mount Guyot off Georgia Pass
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

Dark Helmet wrote:

You're overestimating the difference between 13,000' and 14,000'.

Oxygen density by altitude:
1300': 96% of sea level
13000': 63% of sea level
14000': 61% of sea level

Whatever effects you fear at 14K will certainly affect you nearly the same at 13K. If you're reasonably cardio fit then you probably wont notice a difference. I say go for it!
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

tlongpine wrote:
Dark Helmet wrote:

You're overestimating the difference between 13,000' and 14,000'.

Oxygen density by altitude:
1300': 96% of sea level
13000': 63% of sea level
14000': 61% of sea level

Whatever effects you fear at 14K will certainly affect you nearly the same at 13K. If you're reasonably cardio fit then you probably wont notice a difference. I say go for it!
+1 to this, with the caveat that altitude affects everyone differently. I start feeling it around 12,500' or 13,000', but after that it doesn't get noticeably worse.

Also, I agree with all of tlongpine's mountain recommendations. Exactly what I was going to suggest.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
vibeee
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vibeee »

powhound wrote:Sentinel Point 12,527'. Trailhead is 10 minutes from Victor. Just did it yesterday by a different route, but the finish is the same. You can keep the last little climb to the summit at class 2+ or poke around a bit for some class 3 fun. Feel free to PM if you want detail.
Was there any snow on the way?