Suggestion for a summit hike tomorrow(Wednesday) by COS

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
vibeee
Trip Reports (0)

Suggestion for a summit hike tomorrow(Wednesday) by COS

Post by vibeee »

We were planning on going to Bierstadt(I know, not the COS area) but there still 3 feet of snow in the meadows and we don't want to deal with it.

Any good somewhat dry suggestions? We don't want to drive more then 1-2 hours max.

Thank you!
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Suggestion for a summit hike tomorrow(Wednesday) by COS

Post by GeezerClimber »

Yale is a possibility. I've been eye balling it the last two days. There is some snow, but it should be pretty well packed down.

Dave
vibeee
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Suggestion for a summit hike tomorrow(Wednesday) by COS

Post by vibeee »

'Friend and I did Yale today. Started at 5:50. Snow was hard packed on the way up except in two locations, but coming down around noon was another story! Postholed almost the entire way back except when we ‘glissaded‘. Not at all sure when, but there was an avalanche maybe a week or more ago (you could see layers of dust) and that led to extra deep postholing. First pic shows the step snow fields that required no traction devices, though later towards the saddle, they would have been quicker. Second - probably the deepest snow pack up there. Third - a pano a little below the saddle Fourth - friend ‘glissading‘, or a controlled butt slide '

This from 5/28. I really would like to not walk through snow and posthole. We don't have snowshoes.

I guess another week or two and it should be a lot better. I haven't see any new snow on Pikes Peak(we live in COS) so it is a good sign.