Sniktau Alternate

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Sniktau Alternate

Post by TravelingMatt »

smrcka wrote:It's definitely more work than climbing Sniktau from Loveland Pass, but Citadel is a great hike/scramble.
From Herman Gulch it's not even really a scramble, more like steep Class 2.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

So, the route to the top of Citadel--Snoopy's Backside? Really?
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

TravelingMatt wrote:
smrcka wrote:It's definitely more work than climbing Sniktau from Loveland Pass, but Citadel is a great hike/scramble.
From Herman Gulch it's not even really a scramble, more like steep Class 2.
Yeah, there might be on class 3 move on it. Maybe...
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Hey Metal! You may remember ew met on the shoulder of Humboldt a few years ago.

Question--so you get to the middle of the twin summits; then what? Hang a right or left? Is it obvious the way up from there?

Many thanks.
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

steelfrog wrote:Hey Metal! You may remember ew met on the shoulder of Humboldt a few years ago.

Question--so you get to the middle of the twin summits; then what? Hang a right or left? Is it obvious the way up from there?

Many thanks.
I do remember!

We didn't go up the saddle when we did Hagar. We went around the left side (looking up from the valley) of the summit and then it was a short class 2+/mild 3 climb to the top. Its pretty obvious where to go once you get up there.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

OK cool; ya, I have seen that route illustrated on a map, so that's what I'll do; that will go nicely with the notion of going up to the ridge by Bethel and then just following the ridge
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

steelfrog wrote:Question--so you get to the middle of the twin summits; then what? Hang a right or left? Is it obvious the way up from there?
If you're asking which of the two summits is the taller, the left (western) summit is the higher of the two but both are fun little climbs. I referenced Otina's trip report in one that I did subsequently but I think hers shows the route better than mine. http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=11001
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down