Novice Advice regarding less travelled 13/12ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zijin_cheng
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zijin_cheng »

Hi there, first time posting.

My family and my dog are going to vacation in Colorado from June 21-27.

We are staying at the Keystone resort and after a little research (and hours of looking up trip reports), we have settled on climbing Mt Sniktau to acclimate, also this is the only mountain my mom can do, she will be staying home for the harder excursions.

We are not looking to conquer any 14ers or even 13ers, we just want to hike the lesser known/travelled mountains with great views (even 12ers would suffice).

I have some specific options that I think are amazing but have some questions (also are these popular hikes?):

Santa Fe/Morgan/Sullivan/Geneva/Landslide
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=14338
This seems versatile, as we can turn back at any time if anyone of us is feeling tired.
We only have an older 2WD caravan, and this trip report starts at Quail mine, can my van make it up?
Another thing is that we have never hiked up peaks before, and I'm a little intimidated by the fact that I might not know where to hike and get lost. I know a topo map and compass is essential, but I'm not sure if I can read it :? ? I don't really feel like buying an expensive satphone/GPS just for one trip.

Bard to Parnassus
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=8479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Looks very "sound of musiciky" :)
Again, will we get lost?

Decatur Mountain (using argentine Pass, just because the shelf lake trail requires 5 river crossings)
http://www.summitpost.org/decatur-mountain/524905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Because I'm a noob at this kind of stuff, the instructions from the url above just say park at the parking lot and start walking, I'm assuming there's a Trailhead that will clearly mark "argentine pass"? Also, doesn't argentine pass connect to lots of mountains? Will I have to rely on the map to determine which direction is decatur mountain?

Sorry for the long post, any input would be appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot, weather. Do you expect copious amounts of snow at any of the places I was talking about? I called a ranger from Idaho Springs and he said there is a lot of melting right now. Also, any other suggestions for hiking?
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Re: Novice Advice regarding less travelled 13/12ers

Post by Jon Frohlich »

You will not make it to the Quail Mine in a 2WD vehicle. I blew a tire on my 4Runner last year getting to the mine and had to change a tire up there. Not a whole lot of fun. The road gets rough and narrow past treeline. You could it make it some way up the road but there aren't many places to park although to my recollection there was pullout or two before it got really bad. Other than that Santa Fe (and continuing to Geneva) is a very easy hike. The road goes almost to the top of Santa Fe and Geneva is just a tundra stroll from there.

I'd recommend Parnassus (and Bard) over Santa Fe just from ease of access.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

A buddy and I hiked the Montezuma group a week ago (prior to the washout). We parked just past the first curve after taking a left at Hammertime next to a snowplow at a convenient unsigned pullout. 1/4 mi from town center. This is past the first pullout before the curve that IS signed. I'd recommend parking the 2wd van there. The road is pretty cruiser on foot and you can descend the saddle between Geneva and Pt 13212(?) easily enough to the Webster Pass Rd (used snowshoes, melting fast). Follow that back to town and your car. Still a pretty short day (5-7 hrs). Or return via the way you came up (no snowshoes).

While the route isn't complicated (follow road, go up), I'd recommend at least learning the basics of topo maps to make sure you climb the correct peak. I would NOT buy a GPS until you're comfortabele reading topo maps as it is an important skill to have.

Bard/Parnassus is a bit more complicated and you could wind up on the wrong peak. By a "bit," I mean, you'd still have to go out of your way to get lost that close to the highway, but it could happen. Most likely, it would just take more effort. I'd recommend cramming topo knowledge in your free time so you don't wind up on some lowly 12er instead. Still, it has better access and is 2wd friendly.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I know a topo map and compass is essential, but I'm not sure if I can read it ?

I mean no offence by this, but if you want to visit less traveled peaks, then it's essential to learn how to read a topo map first. Otherwise, it's best stick to the well marked trails and routes.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
zijin_cheng
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zijin_cheng »

Monster5 wrote:A buddy and I hiked the Montezuma group a week ago (prior to the washout). We parked just past the first curve after taking a left at Hammertime next to a snowplow at a convenient unsigned pullout. 1/4 mi from town center. This is past the first pullout before the curve that IS signed. I'd recommend parking the 2wd van there. The road is pretty cruiser on foot and you can descend the saddle between Geneva and Pt 13212(?) easily enough to the Webster Pass Rd (used snowshoes, melting fast). Follow that back to town and your car. Still a pretty short day (5-7 hrs). Or return via the way you came up (no snowshoes).

While the route isn't complicated (follow road, go up), I'd recommend at least learning the basics of topo maps to make sure you climb the correct peak. I would NOT buy a GPS until you're comfortabele reading topo maps as it is an important skill to have.

Bard/Parnassus is a bit more complicated and you could wind up on the wrong peak. By a "bit," I mean, you'd still have to go out of your way to get lost that close to the highway, but it could happen. Most likely, it would just take more effort. I'd recommend cramming topo knowledge in your free time so you don't wind up on some lowly 12er instead. Still, it has better access and is 2wd friendly.
So there's no way for me to climb the Montezuma group because of the recent washout by snake river? Parking at the pullout you parked, how much does it add to the first peak? We don't have to do all the peaks.
Scott P wrote:

I know a topo map and compass is essential, but I'm not sure if I can read it ?

I mean no offence by this, but if you want to visit less traveled peaks, then it's essential to learn how to read a topo map first. Otherwise, it's best stick to the well marked trails and routes.
So what is the purpose of a topo map? Is its main purpose to find the easiest route up the mountain, or to not get lost? I mean I could figure out the easiest route up the mountain just by looking at photos of the mountain. And the compass would just ensure that I'm going in the right direction.
I thought many of the peaks had marked out trails or cairns?
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

zijin_cheng wrote: So what is the purpose of a topo map? Is its main purpose to find the easiest route up the mountain, or to not get lost? I mean I could figure out the easiest route up the mountain just by looking at photos of the mountain. And the compass would just ensure that I'm going in the right direction.
Most 13ers and 12ers do not have defined trails and cairns. Some do but they are in the minority. If you are questioning the purpose of a map I'd actually suggest taking some classes or getting some training before venturing out. A map and a compass will help you not get lost and find a good route up a mountain. Learning good judgement in regards to route selection and knowing your surroundings are essential skills in the mountains.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Many of the well traveled mountains have those, but not the less traveled ones, which are the ones said you said you wanted to do. Although the definition of the words "less traveled" can be debated, regardless of definition, very few of the less traveled mountains have marked trails or cairns all the way.
So what is the purpose of a topo map?
Um, to know where you are and where you're going? Finding the route up a mountain is usually easy because you just walk towards the top. Most people get lost on the descent.

There are plenty of mountains in Colorado with marked trails or routes to the top, or with routes that are easy to find. I'd recommend those first, if you don't know how to read a map.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

zijin_cheng wrote: So what is the purpose of a topo map? Is its main purpose to find the easiest route up the mountain, or to not get lost? I mean I could figure out the easiest route up the mountain just by looking at photos of the mountain. And the compass would just ensure that I'm going in the right direction.
SAR will continue to be busy this summer.

I'd stick to the "classic" trails even if they have more people. First, they are easier to follow in the forest and tundra. Less so on the rocks.
Second, if you get in trouble, there will be other people probably walking by sometime in he day. Do not assume that cell phones will work in most places (no cell tower, rock & tree blockage, discharged battery, etc.)
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

One more thing. If you are worried about crowds, even the well traveled 13ers aren't usually that crowded yet in June. Usually they don't get crowded until the snow melts. Since most routes up 13ers (or 12ers) will require walking through snow (unless perhaps you head to parts of Southern Colorado), they shouldn't be that crowded yet. From about 4th of July weekend through Labor Day is when the big crowds come.
zijin_cheng
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zijin_cheng »

So as I'm sure all of you can figure out, I'm just a city slicker (from a flat, tropical country at that) trying to make prepare myself properly before trying out any of this stuff.

When I asked for the purpose of the topo map, I realize I sounded very idiotic and stupid (and probably am about this kind of stuff) but what I was trying to ask was whether a topo map is necessary to not get lost because the closest mountain to my cabin is Mt Sniktau, and judging from the topo map and google maps is just a relatively straight hike, and quite difficult to get lost. This was what I judged everything else against, thinking they were all straightforward like this one.

Without knowledge of how to use topo maps (I just read the link monster5 provided, I understand all this in theory but have no where to practice it), what do you suggest I do? Go to mountains with clearly defined trails (are there any?)?

EDIT: I just asked my dad and he said he was quite good at reading topo maps in the army, but that was 20 years ago. Is that enough to try out a mountain that isn't that tricky?
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Go to mountains with clearly defined trails (are there any?)?
Yes. I'd suggest going to one with clearly defined trails or routes until you know how to read a topo map. There are plenty of those type of mountains around. Snikau should be straightforward because you are on a ridge the entire way. You may want to look at the peaks around Berthoud Pass as well. Possibly the ones around Grays and Torreys too.

Of course, as mentioned, there will be snow on many of the routes.

PS, identifying landmarks with the map is more important than compass work. If you want to learn, I'd focus on that.

Or if you want to climb something on the weekend, perhaps just post here for partners. More than likely, someone would be willing to do a climb with you and show you around (as long as you bring proper gear). I would volunteer, but I have a family reunion that weekend.
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

if you stay at Keystone, you could just hike up the ski area. There are good views. If anyone gets into trouble, you can take the gondola down. It might be the safest option.