Weminuche backpack trip planning

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Clarissa
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Weminuche backpack trip planning

Post by Clarissa »

Hello. First time, long time.
I suddenly have some time off and am looking for a backpack to start 21 June through 28 June. I was thinking about Weminuche starting at the Endlich Mesa trailhead, going up past Columbine Pass, down Johnson Cr to Vallecito Cr, and up to Rock Lake either staying on the trail, or using Roell Cr. I would be returning the same way. I was there last September, but only made it as far as the Silver Mesa about the Durango Reservoir No.2.
Maybe a viable option is to head south from Rock Lk. to Emerald Lk. and bushwhacking up one of the gullies back to Endlich Mesa. On the other hand, maybe that's dumb.
This is a solo trip since my wife is burning her vacation time this week in ABQ.
If anyone is familiar with the area, I have a few questions.
What would be the snow conditions at this time? I would anticipate snow around Columbine, and then up at Rock Lk. I have an ice axe, crampons, and snowshoes but have not used the axe or crampons since Mt. Adams in 2001.
I am inclined to stay on-trail since I will be alone. I was looking for some moderate snow climbs for the practice, but doing that alone is probably not a good idea.
In order to get off Silver Mesa before the storm, I would have to camp at the Reservoir, and get down to treeline along Johnson Cr for the 2nd camp.
Any help I could get in trip planning or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I would also be interested in finding hiking and climbing partners, and anyone interested in this trip would certainly be welcome, although I would like to say I am a bit slow, and a 10 mile day is long for me.
I am logged in as my wife, but I am not her. We are talking about another trip together in September, and a return to our annual trip to the yurts in Jan. or Feb. We did a week in the Spanish Pyrenees last year involving lots of snow climbing.
Rich
Wichita, KS