Silverheels Conditions June 2014

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ABQbaldy
14ers: 34 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Silverheels Conditions June 2014

Post by ABQbaldy »

Does anyone have any information on conditions on Mt. Silverheels north of Fairplay? In particular, how high is Beaver Creek running now and can it be forded in a Subaru, crossed by rock hopping, or by wading safely to get on the trail of the SW shoulder?
illusion7il
14ers: 58  2  57 
13ers: 261 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Silverheels Conditions June 2014

Post by illusion7il »

If you are referring to the route that starts at the Hoosier pass South TH off Hwy 9, I went up on Monday 6/16 Creek is maybe a foot deep in areas so no worries. There were actually small patches of snow covering the creek that were firm enough to cross. There is 1 patch of snow around 13,400 that is avoidable. Its a nice hike. Easy route Finding. No loud music. No orange tape. No summit dumps. No Trash. No trail. NO PEOPLE !
ABQbaldy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ABQbaldy »

Thanks! Actually we we're looking at following Beaver Creek Rd. (CR 655) north out of the backend of Fairplay until it dead ends at a jeep road that I understand is closed off with a fence at some point. I saw a photo taken in September 2013 in which it didn't look too deep, but I thought the snowmelt might have changed that. We can probably handle a bit of snow so long as it's not deep postholing, but wading an ice cold creek first thing in the morning at the beginning of the trail is quite an unpleasing bracer we hoped to avoid.
Beer Delivery Man
14ers: 31 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Beer Delivery Man »

Beaver Creek on 6-14-14
Beaver Creek on 6-14-14
100_2061a.JPG (89.79 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Tried to do Silverheels from CR 659 out of Fairplay last weekend. At least as of last weekend, 659 was closed at the first gate, so if that's still the case, you'll have to begin your hike there, which is almost 3 miles from the Beaver Creek crossing. And also as of last weekend, Beaver Creek at that crossing was too high to cross with anything short of a monster truck. Creek is basically covering the road for over well 100 feet, at a depth in places of 2 feet. I think the forest service was opening a number of roads this week, so you may be able to drive further, and hopefully the creek has subsided enough that you can find a crossing.
ABQbaldy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ABQbaldy »

Wow! Thanks Beer Delivery Man! We were all packed and ready to drive the 331 miles to get there and then we would have discovered a whole lot of disappointment. Thanks for saving us that trip. Looks like we will need to wait 2-3 weeks for the snowmelt to drain out. We are very grateful for your information!
Corndiggs
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Corndiggs »

Anyone been up Beaver Creek lately? I'm wondering if they've opened the gate and hoping the creek has subsided since Beer Delivery Man's photo was taken.

Thanks
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado's own. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

Silverheels on 6/21/14. Any snow could be avoided coming from Hoosier Pass and you don't have to deal with the creek.
Silverheels.small.jpg
Silverheels.small.jpg (78.94 KiB) Viewed 563 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
jaysnapp
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jaysnapp »

We did the south ridge route yesterday and made it the through the creek in a stock 2003 Tacoma TRD (barely!). It is still very deep and the adrenaline was on high crossing through the initial portion. A Nissan Xterra also made it through as we were the only ones at the upper trailhead. It will be another week or two before it would be advisable to cross in anything without higher clearance or 4wd. I'd say it's receded only a bit from the photo posted.
Corndiggs
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Corndiggs »

Thanks jaysnapp!
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado's own. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential