The Gores--Decisions, Decisions...

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

The Gores--Decisions, Decisions...

Post by steelfrog »

OK; thanks for all you all's advice re: the Gores, where my daughter and I are doing her "Big Trip" this year (previous 2 kids (of 6) big trips were to Yosemite/Eastern Sierra and Canadian Rockies, respectively). July 20-28.

I've been into the Gores twice, once up G Traverse Peak and once a hike up Piney Creek drainage, but not too far up that. I know about the mosquitoes, etc.

ANYWAY, I had a custom map made on MyTopo that contains virtually all the Gores, from Dora down to Chief, and points in between. I then got names etc off several maps, SP and, very helpfully, Joe Kramarsik's book.

The purpose of this post is to ask some advice if you've been there about wheat might be best views/targets

So, we will be making 2 overnight trips into the Gores. One is definitely going to be into the Piney Creek drainage--I am considering: Powell; Peak H; The Spider; Kehlstein; Peak P; we will try 2 of them

The next overnight I can't decide. I have been recommended Silverthorne and E Thorn; I also like the idea of Dora and then Eagle's Nest E ridge. Peak W also appeals to me, just looking at the map.

Anyway, open to any suggestions!

Thanks!
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Re: The Gores--Decisions, Decisions...

Post by Hungry Jack »

Camp at Salmon Lake. Hit Silverthorne and East Thorne, and grab some views of the Zodiac before heading back down and over to Dillon Dam Brewery.
please rotate your device
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Thanks.

We r also doing Grizzly A and Garfield as a day hike. And Citadel on our way in from the airport
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

What difficulty are you looking for? Since you are looking into the East Ridge of Eagles Nest, it sounds like you are OK to at least class 4.

The East Ridge of Eagles Nest is good. Partner Peaks and East Thorne are nice as is the Grand Traverse. If you want something slightly lesser known, the Corner Peaks might be good.

If you are already heading up Piney Creek you can climb Eagles Nest or Peak C from there, in addition to the ones you mention.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

3rd 4th are fine.

On my map, are you referring to Corner Peak (12709), one of the Cataract Points that form the headwall of Cataract Creek drainage?
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

On my map, are you referring to Corner Peak (12709), one of the Cataract Points that form the headwall of Cataract Creek drainage?
Yes; the Corner Peaks are the ones on the ridge between Meridian Peak and Powel; i.e. 12663, 12709, and 12606.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
benners
14ers: 58  51  21 
13ers: 559 84 26
Trip Reports (110)

Post by benners »

Boulder Lakes looks like a really sweet place to camp and you'd get to approach from both sides of the range (Piney from the west and Boulder from the east). From Boulder you'd have several peak options, including X, Z, and Z Prime which could all be kept at class 3 and under. Or you may be able to hit Keller, Climber's Point, and/or Solitude from there as well. Just an idea!
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

steelfrog wrote:3rd 4th are fine.

This is the Corner Peaks region from the north, the twins are the Corners and Powell is far left
DSC_0016_edited.JPG
DSC_0016_edited.JPG (249.9 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Eagles Nest east ridge also from the north

Try your new map in relation to these pics.
Attachments
DSC_0006_edited.JPG
DSC_0006_edited.JPG (241.65 KiB) Viewed 950 times
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
boudreaux
14ers: 57 
13ers: 113
Trip Reports (11)

Post by boudreaux »

You should do The Spider, incredible views of the Ripsaw and an awesome tarn at the headwaters of the Piney River from Booth Creek! I can't remember the exact place on Red Sandstone Rd, but you get one hell of a 1st look at Peak C. 1st time I saw it, it was etched indelibly in my mind forever and calls you like a siren on the rocks of the Gore!
Ragin Cajun
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

OK; on the Piney Creek overnight, am thinking about East Corner to get a great view of RR in late day; then either Spider or H; Prolly H; any other suggestions up there? Would really like to get up to Lion's Throne but leave that for another trip

For the other trip, thinking now about maybe Peak W or X out of the Upper Pitkin drainage (b/t E Partner and Vista; near Usable Pass). This looks to be centrally located for Boss views and the Upper Pitkin drainage looks like an awesome place to camp with total solitude. Leaning toward X because it's 300' higher. Could try both
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

steelfrog wrote:OK; on the Piney Creek overnight, am thinking about East Corner to get a great view of RR in late day; then either Spider or H; Prolly H; any other suggestions up there? Would really like to get up to Lion's Throne but leave that for another trip

For the other trip, thinking now about maybe Peak W or X out of the Upper Pitkin drainage (b/t E Partner and Vista; near Usable Pass). This looks to be centrally located for Boss views and the Upper Pitkin drainage looks like an awesome place to camp with total solitude. Leaning toward X because it's 300' higher. Could try both
I don't think you would be disappointed with any of those choices. For the Piney excursion, The Corners/Cataracts have great views, as does H. I haven't climbed the Spider yet.
For your Pitkin trip, I think I lean toward W over X, but both are sweet.

I have trip reports on The Corners and W if you're interested.
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

I'll look them up. Thanks!