Mellow 13ers near Aspen

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Mellow 13ers near Aspen

Post by jblyth »

Hi all -

The wife, dog and I are headed to Aspen for a wedding this weekend. We're hoping to find a mellow 13er in the area we can bring our dog on, any suggestions? We've got Sopris or stuff around Indy Pass as backups, but I'd really prefer to be in the Elks if possible. High elevation/mileage is fine, just can't be higher than class 3 for the pooch.

Thanks!

Jason
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Mellow 13ers near Aspen

Post by bergsteigen »

Electric Pass Peak and Leahy are pretty mellow 13ers, up the road to Castle.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
TravelingMatt
14ers: 56 
13ers: 435
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TravelingMatt »

Electric Pass Peak. Class 1 to the summit, although there's one steep section below treeline and a short stretch of loose scree near the top.

Buckskin Benchmark is another option, although requires paying to go back to Maroon Lake.
You never know what is enough until you know what is more than enough. -- William Blake
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

High elevation/mileage is fine, just can't be higher than class 3 for the pooch.
Is snow OK? I'm guessing 13ers might have a fair amount? I'm not sure which ones are mostly free of snow. The conditions reports from last weekend seem to indicate that there is a fair amount in the area. If you are OK with snow, it would be easier to choose 13ers (some of the easier ones have already been mentioned).

It's not a 13er, but Mount Thomas would be a good one. There will be some snow banks around, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Sopris (your backup plan) may be fine since the last part is on a ridge. We'll be up there this weekend.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

TravelingMatt wrote:Electric Pass Peak. Class 1 to the summit, although there's one steep section below treeline and a short stretch of loose scree near the top.

Buckskin Benchmark is another option, although requires paying to go back to Maroon Lake.
Buckskin would be awesome but I think there's a lot of snow up there (based on what I saw on West Maroon Pass from below). Maybe check with the local ranger.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Pearl and "Oyster" aka "West Pearl" are pretty mellow as well, class 2 anyway. You approach via the Pearl Pass road, so a good portion is a road hike. It was pretty snowy 2 weeks ago, see d_baker's trip report... but snow can be a good thing in the Elks because it hikes the loose talus :)

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

Chicago Transplant wrote:Pearl and "Oyster" aka "West Pearl" are pretty mellow as well, class 2 anyway. You approach via the Pearl Pass road, so a good portion is a road hike. It was pretty snowy 2 weeks ago, see d_baker's trip report... but snow can be a good thing in the Elks because it hikes the loose talus :)

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.ph ... ki=Include
^^ This was gonna be my suggestion.

Also, the view from atop the Geisslers near Indy Pass are pretty hard to beat, even if it's just a back-up.
Make wilderness less accessible.
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! Snow isn't an issue for us, so all of these are solid options. Much appreciated!