Current conditions on Mt. Audubon (IPW) or Mt. Alice (RMNP)

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bettyboulder
14ers: 17 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Current conditions on Mt. Audubon (IPW) or Mt. Alice (RMNP)

Post by bettyboulder »

Has anyone been up Mt. Audubon from Brainard Lake recently, or up to Mt. Alice from Lion Lakes in RMNP? I'm planning to do both over July 4th weekend and am wondering whether they will require snow gear beyond waterproof boots.

Any beta would be appreciated, even for other peaks in the vicinity of these -- thanks!
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Current conditions on Mt. Audubon (IPW) or Mt. Alice (RM

Post by Wildernessjane »

I was up on Mount Alice on Saturday. Lots of snow and running water in the trees within a mile after the turnoff for Lion Lakes. Really difficult to follow the trail which meant lots of bushwacking (and very wet boots). We did not use snowshoes though and there was minimal post-holing. The ridge leading up to the saddle between Alice and Chiefs Head was pretty clear though and it is possible to stay off snow almost the entire time as long as you stick to the spine of the Hourglass Ridge. Chiefs Head is clear. We were also on Isolation if you want beta about the hike via Bluebird Lake.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
bettyboulder
14ers: 17 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bettyboulder »

Thanks, Wildernessjane -- very helpful!
drex27
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (6)

Post by drex27 »

Hike Audobon on Saturday. Still lots of snow below treeline, although I was able to get by with just shoes. Once above treeline, its the standard trail.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

drex27 wrote:Hike Audobon on Saturday. Still lots of snow below treeline, although I was able to get by with just shoes. Once above treeline, its the standard trail.
Shoes or snow shoes? Did you happen to notice how the traverse to Paiute looks?
Thank you.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
drex27
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (6)

Post by drex27 »

Regular shoes. Didn't take notice of the traverse to Paiute but from Audubon summit it was dry well past the Crooked Coulior entrance.
Alpine
14ers: 55 
13ers: 21
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Alpine »

I was up near Elk Tooth on Sunday - posted a few pics here, FWIW:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/2301 ... tif_t=like" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

let me know if you need any more detailed info.
"You know I've always loved you...and you know I always will." Third Day