Dallas Peak and/or Vestal basin conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
letsgocu
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 383 8
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Dallas Peak and/or Vestal basin conditions

Post by letsgocu »

Tim Edinger wrote:We tagged Vestal Peak via Wham Ridge on 6/14/2014. Started at Molas Pass. No snow in Vestal Basin. A few snow fields at the headwall to vestal, but they could have been avoided. We glissaded down the Dues Collector coulior and the small snowfields back to the basin at the end of the descent. Elk Creek was raging. there was considerable snow on the ascent/descent ramp on Arrow peak, but we did not do arrow, so I cannot say whether it was "in" or not. No need for snowshoes, crampons, r an ice axe I do not think at this stage. I used my ice axe for glissading, but my two other partners did not have theirs and had no problems. Good luck - great place!
Thanks for this Tim! What about the south sides of the mountains? I'm planning an ascent of the back side of Arrow, and hopefully the Trinities. Although the Wham ridge is objective number 1...
Why do we want to climb mountains? Because they are there...
Stone_man
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 102
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Stone_man »

Attempted Dallas today. Avoidable snow on south face, a few small snow crossings on east face. 4th class chimney to access summit tower has a bit of snow/ice in it, but manageable. Turned back just before ramp to summit pitch due to obligatory exposed steep snow traverse. Looked like 5.3 summit pitch could be holding snow...but couldn't get a straight-on look.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Jbchalk is DA MAN!!!! Got Dallas. Snow on ramp not too bad. About 10' of snow before 5.3 crack. Mainly dry and above it. Now for the rappel... :D
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein