U.S. Grant - east ridge?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mountain Ninja
14ers: 58  23 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (12)

U.S. Grant - east ridge?

Post by Mountain Ninja »

It seems that most people climb U.S. Grant via its SW ridge (from the V4 saddle). Can anyone give their two cents on ascending & descending U.S. Grant via its East ridge (from V2 saddle)? How does it compare with the standard SW ridge route, in terms of difficulty, route finding, etc.?

Thanks so much for any help!
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Showing off my passion for Karate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmGEdQ_JeE
Furthermore
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 643
Trip Reports (219)

Re: U.S. Grant - east ridge?

Post by Furthermore »

I think the southeast ridge from "V2" has easier climbing but harder route finding. Also the southeast ridge is a bit more chossy than the SW ridge. I recommend climbing V4 to Grant to V2 for a quality loop.

Taken from my trip report
"For our descent, we decided to descend SE ridge of Grant where we essentially stayed on the east side of the ridge; it would have been difficult to stay on the ridge proper (photo 10). We worked our way down the ridge until we encountered a 20-40 foot cliff. This was the crux of the SE ridge. After a short traversing class 4 downclimb we regained the ridge proper (photo 11-12). Descent to the V2/Grant was easy after that downclimb. I think the climbing on the SE ridge was easier than the standard route, but that route finding was a bit more challenging."

Here is a rough outline of the route.

Here is the class 4 section.

Edited backwards "v's" in the report...
Mountain Ninja
14ers: 58  23 
13ers: 62 2
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Mountain Ninja »

Thanks for the thorough answer, Furthermore!
A little pain never hurt anyone.

Showing off my passion for Karate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmmGEdQ_JeE
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Furthermore, that picture makes the crux more class 3 ish to me. Maybe it's just the picture. In any case, thanks for the beta, I'll be sure to take lots of pics when we head up there next weekend.

EDIT: Bumping this thread has caused there to be 2 threads about US Grant East Ridge on the top of the page. My bad.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

I second Derek as far a the loop - that's the itinerary I took a couple years ago (sans V2 because thunder rolled in when I hit the grassy saddle) and it is still one of my favorite days in the mountains. I took V4 by its east ridge after climbing out of Island Lake, but you could head up the ridge earlier without contouring all the way around to the lake and likely save some gain. But Island Lake is a pretty splendid sight and worth the extra gain, if you'll be descending V2's east slope and thus only glimpsing the lake from above as you run the loop.

I wouldn't advise downclimbing from V4's summit directly to the V4-Grant saddle: steep and loose. I dropped off to the west down a sandy gully and countoured under the cliffs to gain the saddle.

Regarding the east ridge off Grant, my recollection of the route differs from Derek's report. With the bypassing of only a few high towers and a few downclimbs to the south of a dozen or fifteen feet, I thought I stayed on the ridge crest. Regardless of the route you find, there will defintely be class 4 in the mix. The rock was mostly decent quality, in nice contrast the crumbling mantle of V4, but of course you have to test each hold.
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
Garrett
13ers: 654
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Garrett »

Furthermores pictures are a good guide, though after the labeled crux I was also able to stay higher and more near the ridge crest without much trouble. The crux is definitely class 4 and it seems like there was a few other very short class 4 sections but all are very manageable.
djkest
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Our plan is to hit V2 and US Grant from the V2/Grant saddle. I will make sure and report back how that goes. Looks like there is plenty of ball bearing gravel on top of the more solid rocks in the area.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog